Counting down to New Year's Day before you start a new diet plan? Famed for her role as the tough-talking, no-nonsense trainer on "The Biggest Loser," Jillian Michaels has put together her best weight loss tips to psych you up for that 2014 shape-up. She shared them via Fox News with Self on Dec. 20.
- Focus on your endgame: Write down the reasons you want to be in shape.
- Don't slip into the "victim mentality, where everything that's hard feels like a punishment. But when it comes to your body, it's worth it," Jillian says.
- Accept failure: "Don't look at a struggle as a failure or validation that you're not as good as other people. Every journey begins with a first step."
- Set goals: "Let's say you want to lose 20 pounds in three months. When you reach your weekly goal, get a manicure or pedicure. When you reach your monthly goal, get a massage. When you reach your ultimate goal, give yourself $500 for new clothes. Just make sure the reward is positive and life-affirming and not 'Now I get a night on the town to get...drunk!' No. Never reward yourself with self-destructive things."
- Her eating rule: "Make the healthier choice 80 percent of the time." Jillian snacks on hummus and Popchips.
Need some extra help? On her Facebook page on Dec. 20, Jillian announced that her iPad app, Jillian Michaels Slim-Down, has been selected for the iTunes App Store #BestOf2013. It includes exercise videos, a journal and recipes.
Can apps like Jillian's really help you shed pounds? Yes, when they provide nutrition and exercise help rather than focusing only on calories, an obesity expert told the Weekly Wonk.
Deborah Lupton, notes "that body weight is not the only marker of health." Instead, she approves of apps that provide multi-faceted guidance of healthy lifestyles.
Jillian also has created a variety of fitness DVDs to help guide you through your workouts at home, including "Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30" and "Jillian Michaels Yoga Inferno." Her books include "Slim for Life: My Insider Secrets to Simple, Fast, and Lasting Weight Loss."