First, Anthony Peluso broke his hand during a scrap, then later Blake Wheeler went down with a leg injury blocking a shot.
The result of this was a drubbing by the Capitals, who tallied three times for the 3-0 victory, despite the Jets arguably outplaying the visitors.
While the First Period produced nothing on the scoreboard, the second yielded one goal - a Capitals marker on the same play that saw Wheeler go down. The third period sails by with two goals by the Caps in less than a minute.
Though the Jets made a valiant effort in the third, including an inspirational return to the ice by Wheeler, the Jets just didn't have enough. By the time it was all said and done, the Capitals had the game in hand, giving the club the first win in what will be three contests this month between the clubs.
Quote of the Game - Evander Kane - "It's a game we definitely should've won. We out-shot them in the first period. Going into the second period we fell behind. In the third period there was some breakdown defensively."
- Braden Holtby is between the pipes for Washington, Jets have Ondrej Pavelec in net.
- Jets apply the early pressure with Dustin Byfuglien getting the first official shot on goal.
- John Carlson gets taken down by Brian Little and crashes into the boards. Appears to be okay, but that's two minutes for the Jets forward.
- Evander Kane shows some early spunk on the penalty kill, playing great offensive zone D on Alex Ovechkin and later getting a ood shot in on Holtby. One shot 0 just as many as Washington had on their powerplay.
- Game starts to settle down in the minutes following. Jets are looking strong but the emphasis has quickly shifted to the defensive side of the game.
- Some good back and forth as we head into a TV time out.
- Jets continue to apply the pressure but Holtby is up to the task. After a Little shot, Andrew Ladd and John Erskine cause a but of commotion behind the net. No penalties awarded.
- Shots are 10-3 Jets with roughly 8:30 left in the first. The dominant play seen inthe last few games continues but Holtby is playing phenomenally well.
- Save for a mini Alex Ovechkin bursy, the play continues to have trailed off as the Jets start to get into trouble connecting in the Caps' end of the ice. Same goes vise versa in Winnipeg's end.
- Crosby's better chants start with about 2:45 left in the first. Can't argue that point anymore... The distraction tactic works to an extent as the defence falls apart for the Capitals, but holdby rescues them.
- With 2:10 left, Anthony Peluso and Aaron Volpatti drop the gloves. give the decision to Peluso in an intense scrap that sends the two to the lockerroom early.
- Period ends deadlocked at 0 after each team gets a last shot in. Jets take the shotcount for the period 15-5
Jets 0 - Caps 0
- Slow start to the second. It almost feels like there's a bit more of a feel-out process now that the two teams are a bit more settled in and the sheen is off the Jets hot first period rush.
- Pavelec stands up to a hard shot from Alex Ovechkin and a follow-up rebound from Mike Ribeiro.
- Caps are taking the game back but Pavelec is up to task on the increased number of shots he's facing.
- Jason Chimera looks to have an open net after Pavelec gives up a rebound but Ondrej Pavelec robs him blind. GREAT save, look for it on all the highlight reels for months to come.
- Through the 10 minute mark, the Jets have 2 shots in the second. The Caps have 10.
- Around the 11:50 mark, Blake Wheeler takes a shot off his leg and goes down in a heap. The play continues, though, until the Jets can get control under NHL rules. During the fray, Matt Hendricks puts home a shot after the puck is passed around. Mike Ribeiro and John Erskine draw the assists. 1-0 Capitals
- Capitals use their timeout at 12:24 of the second. Not really sure why...
- Pavelec is now doing his best to keep the Jets in the game. Down two forwards, things aren't looking good in Winnipeg.
- Jets call their 30-second time out 16:11 into the second as they try to re-sort lines with Wheeler going down.
- An outside shot rattles off the post. Holtby can be beaten.
- Wheeler comes back out to try a shit but goes back to the dressing room soon after.
- Jets finally get their first powerplay with 1:06 left in the second as Mathieu Perrault goes off for interference. First half expires with the clock.
Capitals 1 - Jets 0
- Jets aren't able to convert on the remainder of the powerplay.
- Troy Brouwer solves Ondrej Pavelec off a pass from Nik Backstrom around the 3:30 mark. Capitals 2 - Jets 0
- Ribeiro, less than a minute later, converts on an Alex Ovechkin rebound. Eric Fehr also draws an assist. Capitals 3 - Jets 0
- Joel Ward goes off for slashing at 6:51. Jets flurry results in no goals through the first minute as the fans get hot when John Erskine turtles on the puck. End result, Jets go scoreless on the powerplay.
- Blake Wheeler did end up coming back on the ice during the third.
- A tasteless touchup by Perreault on Bogosian as he skates towards his bench around the 12:20 mark starts off a mini brawl. Bogosian, Perreault and Hendricks are in the sinbin. 5-4 PP for Jets.
- We're getting more testy as the game goes on. Alex Ovechkin and Mark Stuart tussle a bit after the powerplay ends. Stuart goes in the box for four, all but officially putting this game on ice. (Penalties were cross-checking and unsportsmanlike conduct).
- Late charge by Wheeler and Little to get a bit of momentum back is fruitless. Jets continue the pressure following the conclusion of the pwoerplay but it's all for not. Caps win 3-0 while the Jets take shots 35-21.