Jessica Simpson credits a low-carb Weight Watchers diet and daily walking and yoga workouts for her 70-pound weight loss.
Simpson, a paid rep for Weight Watchers, said she was able to consistently lose weight week after week, all while enjoying her favorite foods, including the occasional glass of wine.
"I was eating real food," Jessica told Redbook. "There was still room for the occasional indulgence, and I never felt like I was suffering. I lost 8 ½ pounds in the first two weeks, and that really got me motivated for the journey ahead."
Simpson's diet reportedly features five low-calorie mini-meals a day comprised of lean proteins, non-fat dairy, and plenty of fresh vegetables. One of her favorite recipes was for Italian Baked Egg and Vegetable Ramekins (see recipe below).
In addition to a portion-controlled, low-carb diet, Simpson walked four to five miles a day (or 8,000 to 10,000 steps), did yoga, and worked out with her trainer four days a week doing cardio exercise and strength-training.
Simpson's longtime trainer, Harley Pasternak, said the foundation of Jessica's workout regimen is walking. Pasternak, author of The Body Reset Diet, also trains Halle Berry, Lady Gaga, and Kim Kardashian. Harley said he and Jessica typically work out at the gym four days a week, combining 10 to 20 minutes of cardio exercise, 20 to 30 minutes of resistance training, and lots of flexibility moves.
Through consistent effort, Jessica lost 60 pounds just seven months after giving birth to son Ace (her second child in two years). She has since lost even more weight.
Jessica is proud of her weight loss, and can't wait to show off her slimmed-down body in a form-fitting wedding dress. "When you see my dress, you’ll know [why I dieted and exercised so hard]," she said.
Italian Baked Egg and Vegetable Ramekins Recipe (from Weight Watchers Cookbook)
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise, cut crosswise into ¾-inch chunks
- 1 onion, halved lengthwise, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup grated fat-free Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 400°F and spread a large, shallow roasting pan with nonstick spray.
- Put tomatoes, pepper, zucchini, onion, garlic, basil, salt, and pepper in pan and spray with nonstick spray; toss to coat. Roast, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are browned and crisp-tender, about 30 minutes.
- Spray 8- or 10-oz ramekins or custard cups with nonstick spray. Divide vegetables evenly among cups. Make a well in the center of the vegetables and carefully break 1 egg into each cup. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Place cups on baking sheet and bake until eggs are just set, 20 to 25 minutes.