Jessica Chastain took the top two spots for the weekend of Jan. 18 - 20, 2013, as her new low-budget horror film "Mama" debuted atop the box office, and last week's no. 1, "Zero Dark Thirty," fell in at no. 2, as reported on Sunday.
"Mama," took in $28.1 million from Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to studio estimates. That take nearly doubled its estimated budget, which is $15 million.
Meanwhile, her other film "Zero Dark Thirty," for she is a leading Best Actress Academy Award contender, took in $17.6 million, bringing its domestic total to $55.9 million. "Zero Dark Thirty" is also a Best Picture nominee.
At no. 3 was another late 2012 release -- and another Academy Award favorite -- "Silver Linings Playbook," which finished the weekend with an extimated $11.4 million, a 126.2 percent rise from last week, with 1,713 theaters added in the wake of Oscar buzz. That brought its 10-week total to $55.3 million.
In fourth position was "Gangster Squad," which dropped to a $9.1 million take in its second week, for a total of $32.2 million domestically.
Rounding out the top five was "Broken City," a crime thriller which stars Mark Wahlberg and Russell Crowe. It took in $9 million in its debut week.
Arnold Schwarzenegger's new action film, and his first starring role since exiting California's governor's office, "The Last Stand," took in a slim $6.3 million to debut in a dismal 10th place.
The top 10 movies are listed below (LW = last week's ranking):
- (N), Mama,
- (1 LW), Zero Dark Thirty
- (10 LW), Silver Linings Playbook
- (2 LW), Gangster Squad
- (N), Broken City
- (2 LW), A Haunted House, $8.3 millon, $30 million overall, 2 weeks
- (4 LW), Django Unchained, $8.2 million, $138.4 million overall, 2 weeks
- (5 LW), Les Miserables, $7.8 million, $$130.4 million overall, 4 weeks
- (6 LW), The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, $6.4 million, $287.4 million overall, 6 weeks
- (N), The Last Stand, $6.3 million, $6.3 million overall, 1 week