With bowling league schedules getting back to normal following Thanksgiving week, the latest Examiner.com report on high-scoring accomplishments isn't too extensive, but things should be back to normal prior to next Saturday's article.
This report is headlined by Jesse Jones, who blasted a perfect game to complete a 673 series in the Friday Night Mixed League at Englewood Bowl.
Jones, who currently carries a 206 average, opened with sub-par games of 191 and 182 before unloading 12 consecutive strikes in his final game. It marked his second career perfecto, as he also turned the trick in the middle of a 708 series on Jan. 31, 2011, also at the Englewood center.
Jones had a 212 yearbook average over the 2012-13 season, and he has averaged 214, 211 and 207 over the past three seasons in the Friday Night League.
Two area players posted scores in the 280s, with the help of 10 strikes in a row in a single game. James Cruetz opened a 706 series with a 289 game during competition in the Al Davis Memorial League at Bowland Port Charlotte, where he carries a 221 average, and Craig Nichols fired a 288 game to jump-start a 693 series in the Guys & Dolls Mixed League at Treasure Lanes in Port Charlotte.
The list of high-score accomplishments will likely return to normal length next week, but here are some recent reports from area bowling establishments:
- BOWLAND PORT CHARLOTTE: Tom Lindenberger 279-738, Harry Witt 267, Dave Jodoin 266-737, Jason Gottfried 266-704, Tony Wisenbarger 266, Wendell Van Gaasbeck 755, Mike Janosik 728 and 700, Eric Hill 728; Jill Harper 267-637, Alexes Fry 246, Ona Wood 240, Jackie Wortinger 238-623, Mickeal Paige 229 and 622, Chris Branch 225.
- TREASURE LANES: Cory King 279, Ed Burlison 269-706, Mike Janosik 266-748, D.J. June 265, Eric Popovich 265, Mike Aleshire 740, David Baker 729 and 714, Jerry Weese 721, Jason Jones 705, Jim Lugiewicz 703; Debbie Baylor 266-609, Jennifer Peacock 243-626, Carol Hausman 236, Dale Miller 232, Dolores Meyers 632, Ona Wood 612, Wendy Aldridge 603, Karen Lokker 600.
- ENGLEWOOD BOWL: Jimmy Bruns 277-726, Tony Clevenger 269.
- SARASOTA LANES: Anthony Bongiovanni 267, Steve Albritton 267; Jessica Hendrickson 257.
- AMF VENICE LANES: Dolores Meyers 256-638, Janet Romig 244-621.
Two reminders: Century Doubles and Florida senior tournament
* Another in the series of Bobby Combs Century Doubles tournaments will be held at Sarasota Lanes on Sunday (Dec. 8). Combined ages of doubles teams must total at least 100, squad time is 2 p.m., and entry fee is $30 per couple. For an Examiner.com article that tells all about it, click here.
* Deadline for submitting entries into the 45th annual Florida State Senior Handicap Championship Tournament -- to be hosted by Spring Hill Lanes over the first five weekends of 2014 -- is midnight Sunday (Dec. 8), and for an article that tells all about it (including a link to an official entry blank), click here.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald's Examiner.com bowling articles -- free of charge -- by clicking on "subscribe" near the top of the column, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]