The Jesse H. Jones Park and Nature Center, located in Humble, has over 300 acres of forested grounds as well as a playground and an extensive trail system meant for hikers, bicyclists, and wheelchair access. It includes micro-habitats, including slough, swamps, and white-sand beaches. There are multiple viewing blinds, wildlife feeders, bird houses, and bat boxes.
For spring break, the Jones Park and Nature Center will be offering free special break-out sessions. In order to attend, reservations are required. Preferential reservations are given to Harris County residents, but residents of other counties may also attend if space is available. For those attending the programs, remember to wear solid shoes and comfortable clothing. To make a reservation, contact the park at 281-446-8588.
The schedule for the week of Spring Break will be
- Monday, March 10: Frogs at 10 a.m. and Fangs at 1 p.m. (open to all ages)
- Tuesday, March 11: Geocaching at 10 a.m. (open to all ages)
- Wednesday, March 12: Texas Bound from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. (ages 7 to 12)
- Thursday, March 13: Jr. Angler from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. (ages 8 and up)
- Friday, March 14: Jr. Canoe Training from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. (ages 10 to 15)
Unfortunately, no pets are allowed in the park.
The Jesse H. Jones Park and Nature Center is located at 20634 Kenswick Drive in Humble. The park is open daily from 8 a.m. until dusk, but the gates close 30 minutes prior to park closing. The nature center is open daily from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Their phone number is 281-446-8588, and their website is located at http://www.hcp4.net/jones
For more information, or to learn about their other programs that are available during the summer and fall, visit the schedule on their website.