The online sign-up will be available from the time the agenda is made available to the public — Sunday in most cases — and will remain open until 3 pm on the day of the regular board meeting.
Accessing the public comment online sign-up requires several steps:
1. Go to the Jeffco Schools homepage.
2. Click the Board of Education link on the left sidebar.
3. Click the Go to BoardDocs link located under the heading "Board Agendas, Policies & News."
4. The next screen says Jeffco Public Schools eGovernance System. Click Enter Public Site on that page.
5. The next page should show the board’s upcoming meetings. Click the date of the regular meeting at which you intend to comment. (Public comment is not available at special meetings or study sessions.)
For example, click the Dec. 12, 2013 (Thu) regular meeting link to sign up to make public comment at Thursday’s meeting.
6. The next screen will give you the option to view the agenda for that meeting. Click that link.
7. That will take you to the agenda item details page, starting with agenda item 1.01. Decide if your public comment is agenda-related and part of Public Comment Part One, or unrelated to the agenda for that meeting and appropriate for Public Comment Part Two.
To see the agenda items for a meeting, locate the side bar on the left and scroll down. Items on the superintendent consent agenda, the board consent agenda, the ends discussion, ends monitoring and discussion agendas may be commented on during Public Comment Part One. Anyone who wishes to comment on other issues should sign up for Public Comment Part Two.
8. To comment on agenda-related items, locate the agenda item in the left sidebar that says Public Agenda Part One, and look for the link that says Public Comment (Agenda Related). Clicking the link should take you the agenda item details—located on the right side of the page. The link to sign up for Public Comment Part One is located on that page.
9. To comment on issues not being addressed on the agenda at that meeting, scroll further down the left side bar until you see the agenda item that says Public Agenda Part Two. Clicking that item will also take you to the agenda item details on the right side of the page, and the link to sign up for Pubic Comment Part Two is located there.
The online public comment forms ask for the individual's name, street address, city, zip code, telephone number, email address (optional), topic you wish to speak about and whether you are speaking as part of a group.
The form also states that the individual signing up to speak has reviewed and agrees to the Jeffco School Board guidelines for public comment.
Under the current guidelines, individuals may speak to the board for up to three minutes. If there are four or more speakers who sign up on the same topic, the group has up to ten minutes to address the board.
However, if more than 25 people sign up to speak to the board, individual speakers will be limited to two minutes and groups to five minutes.
Public comment is limited to Jeffco residents and Jeffco Schools employees.
Citizens can also sign up for public comment in the Board of Education office from Monday through Wednesday until 5 pm, and on Thursday until 3 pm. The Board of Education and Superintendent’s office is located at 1829 Denver West Dr. #27 in Golden.
The list of those signed up for public comment will be posted to the meeting’s online agenda under the appropriate public comment section.
The next regularly-scheduled board meeting is this Thursday, Dec. 12 at Lakewood High School.
The study session will begin at 5:30 pm in Lakewood High School’s Foods Classroom, #C-101.
The regular meeting will begin at 6:30 in the Lakewood High School Auditorium. Lakewood High School is located at 9700 W 8th Ave. in Lakewood.