This simple stew recipe is just what need on a cold morning or during the sort of thaw we saw yesterday. It’s cooling back down now, and you’ll appreciate this tonight and any night soon! What makes it so special (and so easy) is that it uses crushed ginger snaps! It’s 5 minutes work and about 2 hours in the oven!
We bought our ginger snaps at Stop and Shop. Their house brand is delicious (and it has no trans fats!) You can crush then quickly in a food processor, or in a bag using a rolling pin. They not only add flavor, they thicken the stew.
- 1 to 1 ¼ lb stew beef
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 Tb brandy
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup ginger snaps
- 1 10-oz can chicken stock
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- 1-2 Tb chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Place the sliced onion in the bottom of an oven-proof casserole.
- Mince the garlic and add over the onions.
- Add the beef, brandy, stock, red wine and crushed ginger snaps.
- Sprinkle on half the parsley.
- Cover and bring to a boil on the stove top.
- Then place in the preheated oven and bake for two hours.
- Check to make sure the beef is tender. It may take a bit longer, depending on your oven.
Serve over noodles or rice.