From Award-winning director Ron Howard and two-time Academy Award-nominated writer Peter Morgan come the heart-racing, epic action-drama film Rush. It is the true story of the legendary sports rivalry between freewheeling English Formula 1 racer James Hunt and his disciplined Austrian opponent, Niki Lauda, during the sexy and glamorous golden age of Formula 1 racing. Chris Hemsworth stars as the charismatic playboy James Hunt, and Daniel Brühl as his determined rival, Niki Lauda, with Olivia Wilde and Alexandra Maria Lara as the women who watched the men they love risk everything in the deadly competition.
Rush was nominated for two Golden Globes, including Best Motion Picture - Drama and Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture for Daniel Brühl. Also it has been nominated for two SAG Awards, including Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture and Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role for Daniel Brühl.
Gifted English playboy James Hunt and his methodical, brilliant Austrian opponent, Niki Lauda, first develop their fierce rivalry in 1970 at a Formula Three race in England, with Hunt winning after Lauda’s car spins out. Following the incident, the two best drivers of Formula One engage in a complicated relationship where they race mercilessly during the 1976 season, clashing on and off the Grand Prix racetrack. Even when Lauda is severely injured during the German Grand Prix, he is stirred by the intensity of their rivalry to get back on the racetrack before he is fully recovered. While their loved ones watch on, they risk everything, pushing themselves to the breaking point where there is no margin of error for victory.
DVD and Blu-ray special features include deleted scenes and “Ron Howard: A Director's Approach” featurette, where fans get a behind-the-scenes look at director Ron Howard and how his passion for filmmaking allows him to create extraordinary films time after time. Exclusive to Blu-ray are bonus features that take a look at the making of Rush and the real story of the film.
- Chris Hemsworth as James Hunt
- Daniel Brühl as Niki Lauda
- Olivia Wilde as Suzy Miller
- Alexandra Maria Lara as Marlene (Knaus) Lauda
- Pierfrancesco Favino as Clay Regazzoni
- David Calder as Louis Stanley
- Natalie Dormer as Nurse Gemma
- Stephen Mangan as Alastair Caldwell
- Christian McKay as Alexander Hesketh
- Alistair Petrie as Stirling Moss
- Julian Rhind-Tutt as Bubbles Horsley
- Colin Stinton as Teddy Mayer
- Jamie de Courcey as Harvey Postlethwaite
- Augusto Dallara as Enzo Ferrari
- Ilario Calvo as Luca Cordero di Montezemolo
- Sean Edwards as Guy Edwards
- Martin J Smith as Jody Scheckter
- Rob Austin as Brett Lunger
- Tom Wlaschiha as Harald Ertl
DVD Special Features:
- Ron Howard: A Director's Approach - A behind-the-scenes look at director Ron Howard and how his passion for filmmaking allows him to create extraordinary films time after time.
- Deleted Scenes
Blu-ray Special Features:
Includes all DVD Special Features plus:
- Race for the Checkered Flag: The Making of Rush:
o Peter Morgan on Writing Rush - A look at the work of the Oscar-nominated screenwriter (The Last King of Scotland, The Queen) and how he creates screenplays known for exquisite drama, characters, authenticity and passion.
o Finding James and Niki - Chris Hemsworth talks about researching his character using archival reports and footage, and Daniel Brühl reveals his real-life encounter with Niki Lauda as a guest on the Austrian driver's private jet.
o The Light of Speed and Filming F1 - Oscar-winning cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle discusses the intricacies of filming Rush and how he achieved the film's breathtaking race sequences with camera technology and skills never before possible.
o Around the World in One Location - Ron Howard and the filmmaking team explain how they created the illusion of filming all over the world while shooting almost entirely in the UK.
o Fashion and Styles of the '70s - The hair, the clothes and the colorful personalities of a glamorous decade shine as costume designer Julian Day and hair and make-up designer Fae Hammond take viewers back in time to the sexy '70s.
- The Real Story of Rush:
o Meeting James Hunt and Niki Lauda - Members of the cast and crew and intimate friends of James Hunt and Niki Lauda share their insights in a nuanced portrait of two complex men and their complicated relationship. This short documentary also includes a rare interview with Lauda himself.
o F1 Take 1: F1 Racing and the F1 Car - Mechanics and pit crew from 1970s-era Formula 1 describe the intense rivalry, competition and camaraderie between the various racing teams of the time.
o The Rock and Roll Circus - The glamorous F1 circuit of the '70s takes center stage in a look at the races, the music, the clothes and the lifestyle during a time "when sex was safe – and driving was dangerous."
Release Date: January 27, 2014
- Rush Limited Blu-ray Combo SteelBook with DVD.
- Best Buy: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- BJ's Wholesale Club: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- FYE: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Kmart: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Toys 'R' Us: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Target: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Walmart: Long Island locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Amazon.com charges sales tax for all New York shipping addresses.