From Oscar-nominated director Paul Greengrass, of United 93 and The Bourne Ultimatum, comes the pulse-pounding thriller Captain Phillips. The film is inspired by the 2009 hijacking of the U.S. container ship Maersk Alabama by a crew of Somali pirates. Two-time Academy Award winner Tom Hanks stars as the titular character and leads a powerful cast that includes breakout actor Barkhad Abdi, Catherine Keener, Yul Vazquez, Max Martini and Barkhad Abdirahman. The screenplay is by Billy Ray and is based on the book, A Captain's Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALs, and Dangerous Days at Sea (2010), by Richard Phillips with Stephan Talty. Captain Phillips received four Golden Globe nominations, including Best Motion Picture, Best Director for Paul Greengrass, Best Actor for Tom Hanks and Best Supporting Actor for Barkhad Abdi. In addition, the film has been nominated for two SAG Awards including Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role for Hanks and Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role for Abdi.
145 miles off the Somali coast in the pirate-infested waters, Captain Richard Phillips and the U.S. container ship Maersk Alabama are hijacked by Somali pirates despite his best security precautions. It is the first American cargo ship to be hijacked in two hundred years. Led by Abduwali Muse, the pirates take control of the unarmed ship and capture Phillips while most of his crew hide in the ship’s engine room. Hoping to ransom the ship and crew in exchange for insurance money, Muse and his pirate crew find themselves set on an unstoppable collision course when the U.S Navy intercepts. As tensions flare, Phillips and Muse are at the mercy of forces beyond their control when the U.S. Navy destroyer USS Bainbridge’s captain Frank Castellano is ordered to use whatever means to stop the pirates. Just when death seems certain for Phillips, a SEAL team miraculously rescues him and Muse is taken into custody. Arrested for piracy, Muse is tried and convicted in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York and sentenced to 33 years and 9 months in federal prison.
Bonus features include “Capturing Captain Phillips,” a three-part, behind-the-scenes look at the film’s production and real events surrounding the film. Also included is a commentary with director Paul Greengrass.
- Tom Hanks as Captain Richard Phillips
- Barkhad Abdi as Abduwali Muse
- Catherine Keener as Andrea Phillips
- Faysal Ahmed as Najee
- Michael Chernus as First Officer Shane Murphy
- David Warshofsky as Chief Engineer Mike Perry
- Corey Johnson as Helmsman Ken Quinn, helmsman
- Chris Mulkey as John Cronan
- Yul Vazquez as Commander Frank Castellano
- Max Martini as U.S. Navy SEAL Commander
- Omar Berdouni as Nemo
- Mohamed Ali as Asad
- Barkhad Abdirahman as Bilal
- Mahat M. Ali as Elmi
- Issak Farah Samatar as Hufan
- Filmmaker Commentary
- Capturing Captain Phillips:
o Stand Fast
o Full Ahead
Check out the slideshow to see what the exclusives look like.
Release Date: January 21, 2014
- Future Shop - Captain Phillips Blu-ray Combo SteelBook with DVD.
Release Date: February 10, 2014
- Captain Phillips Blu-ray SteelBook with UltraViolet Digital Copy.
Best Buy exclusive Blu-ray Combo SteelBook - $24.99
- Best Buy: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- BJ's Wholesale Club: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- FYE: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Kmart: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Toys 'R' Us: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Target: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Walmart: Long Island locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Amazon.com charges sales tax for all New York shipping addresses.