From Academy Award-winning Irish writer/director Martin McDonagh of In Bruges comes the outrageous British black comedy-drama film Seven Psychopaths, which he wrote, directed and co-produced. Golden Globe winner Colin Farrell leads an acclaimed cast that includes Sam Rockwell, Woody Harrelson, Academy Award winner Christopher Walken, Tom Waits, Abbie Cornish, Olga Kurylenko, Michael Pitt, Gabourey Sidibe and Harry Dean Stanton.
Struggling Hollywood screenwriter Marty Faranan, who is suffering from writer’s block, is having more trouble finishing his screenplay “Seven Psychopaths” than his booze. He wants to stay away from stereotypical Hollywood psychopaths with guns and has come up with a Buddhist who is about love and peace. When his best friend Billy, an unemployed actor turned part-time dognapper, hears of this, he decides Marty needs to meet some real psychopaths for inspiration. Marty gets more than he bargained for when Billy and his partner in crime Hans, a religious man with a violent past, kidnap the beloved Shih Tzu of a psychotic gangster named Charlie. Somehow entangled in his oddball friends’ wild scheme, he finds himself dealing with the craziest psychopaths -- including the Los Angeles criminal underworld, ‘serial killer’ killers, the Jack of Diamonds serial killer and the Quaker who cuts his own throat after driving his daughter’s killer to commit suicide. If Marty can get out of this alive, he will have plenty to write about.
Seven Psychopaths is a cleverly concocted crazy story filled with profanely, razor-sharp witty dialogue and a perfect cast. Writer/director Martin McDonagh sure knows how to spin a wildly entertaining Tarantino-esque tale filled with many carefully crafted layers and plenty of gun-blazing surprises -- along the same veins as Charlie Kaufman’s Adaptation.
Colin Farrell, the star of McDonagh’s In Bruges, is once again in the limelight as Marty, joined by Sam Rockwell, Christopher Walken and Woody Harrelson -- all exhibiting great chemistry and giving flawless performances. In fact, Rockwell and Walken’s phenomenal acting may be the best in years -- marrying Rockwell’s hysterical character with Walken’s Zen-like monologues. Talented actresses Abbie Cornish, Olga Kurylenko and Gabourey Sidibe add to the solid supporting cast that includes Tom Waits, Harry Dean Stanton and Michael Pitt. It would have been nice to see more development of Cornish, Kurylenko and Sidibe’s characters to balance the male-dominated cast; even Hans, played by Walken, agrees when he tells Marty, “Your women characters are awful.”
Overall, Seven Psychopaths is a psychotically brilliant film that is both self-reflective and satirical. It takes you on one violent, yet hysterically funny, unpredictable adventure and is surely to become a cult favorite.
Both the DVD and Blu-ray include six featurettes. “Martin McDonagh’s Seven Psychopaths” features the cast talking about both the story and director McDonagh’s vision for the film. “Colin Farrell is Marty” features Farrell discussing his character from the film, while “Woody Harrelson is Charlie” focuses on Harrelson’s character. “Crazy Locations” highlights the various filming locations in LA and the Mojave Desert. “Seven Psychocats” is a re-made trailer featuring a cast of seven “psycho-cats,” in which the cast is replaced by cats. “Layers” is a video mash-up of the film set to a rap beat.
View video: Seven Psychopaths Trailer
- Colin Farrell as Marty Faranan
- Christopher Walken as Hans Kieslowski
- Sam Rockwell as Billy Bickle
- Woody Harrelson as Charlie Costello
- Tom Waits as Zachariah Rigby
- Abbie Cornish as Kaya
- Olga Kurylenko as Angela
- Željko Ivanek as Paulo
- Linda Bright Clay as Myra
- Long Nguyen as Vietnamese Priest
- Harry Dean Stanton as Man in Hat
- Amanda Mason Warren as Gabby
- James Hébert as Killer
- Kevin Corrigan as Dennis
- Gabourey Sidibe as Sharice
- Michael Pitt as Larry
- Michael Stuhlbarg as Tommy
- Helena Mattsson as Prostitute
- Martin McDonagh's Seven Psychopaths
- Crazy Locations
- Woody Harrelson is Charlie
- Colin Farrell is Marty
- Seven Psychocats
Release Date: April 15, 2013
- Zavvi - Seven Psychopaths Blu-ray SteelBook.
- Best Buy - $5 Upgrade & Save coupon: Get a $5 coupon valid on any Blu-ray movie priced $9.99 and up when you trade in an original DVD. More info.
- Best Buy: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- BJ's Wholesale Club: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Blockbuster: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- FYE: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Kmart: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Toys 'R' Us: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Target: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Walmart: Long Island locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Amazon.com charges sales tax for all New York shipping addresses.