Kansas City Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles was named the AFC Offensive Player of the Week on Wednesday by the NFL for his record-breaking, five touchdown performance against the Oakland Raiders last Sunday.
It is Charles’ first award of the year and he joins teammates Dexter McCluster (Week 4) and Ryan Succop (Week 8) who both won the Special Teams’ award, and Tamba Hali (Weeks 6 and 14) and Justin Houston (Weeks 1 and 3) who have both won the Defensive Player of the Week award two times.
In announcing the award, the NFL highlighted Charles’ day:
- Charles totaled 215 scrimmage yards (195 receiving, 20 rushing) with five touchdowns (four receiving, one rushing) in the Chiefs’ 56-31 win at Oakland.
- Charles became the first player in NFL history with at least four touchdown receptions and one touchdown run in a single game.
- His five total touchdowns are tied for the fourth-most in a game in league history and just one shy of the record. Three players scored six touchdowns in a game: ERNIE NEVERS (November 28, 1929), DUB JONES (November 25, 1951) and GALE SAYERS (December 12, 1965).
- Charles’ 195 receiving yards were the fifth-most by a running back in NFL history.
- Through Week 15, Charles has an NFL-best 18 total touchdowns (11 rushing, seven receiving).
- In his sixth season from Texas, this is Charles’ third career Offensive Player of the Week award. He most recently won the award in 2012 (Week 3).
- Charles is the first running back this season to win AFC Offensive Player of the Week honors.
Quarterback Alex Smith also received votes for the offensive award this week for his five passing touchdowns and a perfect QB rating achieved (158.3). Safety Eric Berry garnered votes for the defensive award due to his two tackles, his two interceptions, and one interception return touchdown.
Like this article? If you want your Chiefs news delivered with an Examiner twist, simply hit the SUBSCRIBE button on this page. It’s FREE and you can cancel at any time. And if you do like these articles, please re-post or tweet to your favorite Chiefs message boards.
Now that your Chiefs Examiner proudly has a younger version of himself serving in the U.S. Army in Ft. Drum, NY he is even more thankful for all the men and women serving in our military. Coming from a family with generations of military vets, one of my favorite charities is the Wounded Warrior Project. If you like my articles at all and can afford a few dollars for these brave men and women, please check it out here and donate. Thank you!!
Need the services of a copywriter with 18 years of successful work under his belt? Check me out at my other profession at Dan Rose Copywriting for any writing project that you want to get off your desk and into production. From content to catalogs to post cards, you’ll find fast and affordable copywriting here.