Jakovic played 90 minutes in both of Canada’s Men’s National Team’s friendlies in January, helping his team keep a clean sheet in 0-0 draw against the U.S. on Jan. 29 in Houston.
The 27-year-old D.C. United defender won praise for his composure on the ball and the defensive leadership he demonstrated in organizing a young Canadian back line against the Americans.
Matheson stepped into the captain’s role for Canada’s Women’s National Team in the absence of Christine Sinclair, wearing the arm band for all 270 minutes of action in three matches as Canada posted a record of 1-1-1 at the 2013 Yongchuan Cup in Yongchuan, China.
The 28-year-old Washington Spirit midfielder was her usual tenacious self in midfield for Canada, helping a young squad to a second-place finish at the Yongchuan Cup. Matheson’s passing and quality on the ball was central to Canada’s strong showing at the tournament.
Only Matheson and striker Adriana Leon played 90 minutes in all of the three matches in China.
CANADA SOCCER PLAYERS OF THE MONTH
- January 2013 – Dejan Jakovic and Diana Matheson
- December 2012 – Atiba Hutchinson and Christine Sinclair
- November 2012 - Kevin McKenna and Erin McNulty
- October 2012 - Atiba Hutchinson and Diana Matheson
- September 2012 - Kevin McKenna and Tiffany Cameron
- August 2012 - Patrice Bernier and Christine Sinclair
- July 2012 - Patrice Bernier and Melissa Tancredi
- June 2012 - Julian de Guzman and Diana Matheson
- May 2012 - Milan Borjan and Christine Sinclair
- April 2012 - Atiba Hutchinson and Alyssa Lagonia
- March 2012 - Olivier Occean and Sophie Schmidt
- February 2012 - Olivier Occean and Rhian Wilkinson