Looking frail and gaunt, Jake Gyllenhaal has been attracting attention for his dramatic weight loss. Now he's defending his drastic diet by saying it's all in the name of art, reported Us Weekly on October 22.
Jake went on his extreme weight loss plan to portray his character in an upcoming thriller, "Nightcrawler." The role requires him to play a "literally and figuratively hungry" crime reporter named Lou, explained Jake.
To appear realistic, Jake got into a "mode where I was always a bit hungry."
This weight reduction marks Jake's second effort to suffer for his art by changing his diet. In 2010, he muscled up to play a role in "Prince of Persia."
In contrast to his princely role in the Disney film, which involved six mini meals filled with fats, carbs and protein, Jake didn't follow any specific diet for "Nightcrawler."
Jake's in good company when it comes to dieting for a role. Other actors and actresses who are in the "I Changed My Weight for Art Club" include:
- Tom Hanks, who both gained and lost weight for various roles, which some say led to his diagnosis of type 2 diabetes: Learn more by clicking here
- Matthew McConaughey, who lost weight with the help of Tom Hanks (read all about it by clicking here)
- Christian Bale, who lost weight
- Anne Hathaway, who starved for "Les Miserables"
- Natalie Portman, who suffered hunger pangs
- Renee Zellweger, who gained weight for "Bridget Jones' Diary"