We are officially almost a month into 2014 and the restaurant events are rolling in. We have a few left over from January from Bistro Aix and others. Of course, the Valentine's Day events are fast approaching as well. If you plan to visit one of Jacksonville's top restaurants for Valentine's Day, we strongly recommend booking reservations ahead of time. The restaurants fill up fast! We also have events to talk about at Terra, Wine Cellar, Cantina Laredo, and more. Here's what we know so far:
Event #1 Live Music and Valentine's Day @ Bistro Aix: Bistro Aix continues to be one of our favorite restaurants of all time. The fresh, local ingredients, frequently changing menu, cool ambiance, great service, creative dishes, and desserts made in-house keep us coming back. We can also attest that they have an excellent Valentine's Day celebration, so it should definitely be on your radar if you're looking for a place to take your sweetheart.
This Friday, January 31, Bistro Aix will feature live music from Goliath Flores, starting at 7pm, preceded by the Le Magnifique Happy Hour from 5-7pm. They are also now preparing a special menu for Valentine's Day. Go to their opentable link here or call 904-398-1949 for reservations.
Event #2 Bitter Ball @ Suite: Suite has some very interesting cocktails, which are extremely cold due to being infused with liquid nitrogen. On February 8th, Brody Jenner along with 95.1 WAPE will host the 2014 Bitter Ball. The event starts at 9pm and ends at 2am. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at Suite's Eventbrite link here ($2.44 Eventbrite fee is added).
Event #3 Multiple Happenings @ Terra: Terra offering free valet parking on Friday and Saturday to go along with weekend specials like prime rib, parmesan asparagus risotto, Mahi, Chilean Sea Bass, and duck breast. Terra is also preparing a special menu for Valentine's Day, which will be available February 13-15th with special prices on champagne. Also upcoming is the February 18th Gerard Bertrand Wines tasting. For reservations go to the Terra website at this link or call 904-388-9124.
Event #4 Winter Trio @ Roy's: We like the Roy's on Jax Beach because of top-notch service and fresh seafood. They also have excellent selections from the land, like what is featured in their Winter Trio. Roy's is featuring a combination of Hoisin-Glazed Duck, Grilled Kalbi Beef (not to be confused with Kobi beef) Short Rib, and a Singapore-Style Crab Cake for $26.95. Mention the promo code "Trio" when you make your reservation at this link.
Event #5 10% off Super Bowl Sunday Catering @ Bono's: Bono's Pit BBQ is offering 10% off their catering options, which include the following (with three traditional side items, garlic toast, iced tea or lemonade, paper items, serving utensils, and BBQ sauce):
- Menu 1 $9.99/person: Chicken and Sausage (1 sausage link and 2 pieces of chicken)
- Menu 2 $10.99/person: 2-Meat Combo (Choice of pork, turkey, chicken, sausage)
- Menu 3 11.99/person: 3-Meat Combo (Choice of Pork, Beef, Turkey, Chicken, Sausage)
Traditional side items include: baked beans, cole slaw, green beans, and mac & cheese. Premium side items are available for an added cost: potato salad, black-eyed peas, roasted new potatoes, sweet potato mash, collard greens, tossed salad, and mashed potatoes & gravy. For more information, go to Bono's website at this link.
Event #6: Weekend Prix Fixe Menu @ Wine Cellar: Known for its wine list and upscale dining Wine Cellar offers frequently changing prix fixe menus. This time, it's a three course meal for $34 per person. First course features items like Roasted Golden Beet Salad, Second course features items like Cariander and Garlic Crusted Top Sirloin, and dessert features either Chocolate Mousse with Fresh Berries or Apple Cobbler with Oatmeal Crumble. For reservations visit the Wine Cellar website at this link or call 904-398-8989.
Event #7: New plates @ Cantina Laredo: Our favorite fancy Mexican restaurant chain is offering some new menu items:
- Relleno De Camarones featuring shrimp, monterey jack, mushrooms, corn, spinach, and zucchini in a poblano pepper and topped with avocado ($15.99 for dinner only)
- Guiso de Filete featuring stew with tenderloin tips, avocado, rice, and queso fresco (10.79 for lunch and 12.99 dinner)
- Enchiladas de Cangrejo: these are enchiladas with lump crab and cpicy chili de arbol cream sauce on a bed of vegetables that have been marinated in vinaigrette (11.29 for lunch and 15.99 for dinner)
- Tacos de Borrego featuring roasted lamb witih guajillo sauce, red pepper and queso fresco (10.29 lunch only)
- Chipotle Pollo Fajitas: chicken fajitias with chipotle-wine sauce on top, bacon, mushrooms, and monterey jack (14.79 for lunch and 17.29 for dinner)
For more from Jacksonville Fine Dining Examiner, follow us on Twitter @JaxFineDining