Jerry Williams, 59, of East Rancho Road no longer has a home after it burned beyond repair on Tuesday, but he owes his life to the bravery of his 12-year-old Sheltie and Pomeranian mix service dog and a Good Samaritan for rescuing him according to the First Coast News.
Williams fell asleep smoking a cigarette, and when his little dog woke him up, Williams tried desperately to find his way to safety. As Williams tried to find his way through the dark smoke, Sweetie barked as she headed toward the back door to safety guiding the way for her owner.
Williams has been disabled for the last 30 years, but credits Sweetie for saving his life and a Good Samaritan, Adrienne Talbot, who had been near the home when she saw the fire. Talbot helped to move Williams away from the burning porch to safety.
Williams and Sweetie are at St. Vincent's Medical Center recovering.
Good work Sweetie.
If you would like to continue receiving the latest news on pet issues and how we can help those who cannot speak, please click the "Subscribe" icon.
Follow the National Pet Rescue Examiner on Facebook by clicking here. Please visit and "like" my page. You are welcome to submit story ideas by contacting me at firstname.lastname@example.org.