This is an unusual twist to the typical stuffed peppers recipe.
Italian style stuffed peppers
4 bell peppers, choose similar size for even cooking
1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground Italian sausage
1 cup marinara sauce
1/4 pound chopped mushrooms
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- Cut tops of peppers off, scoop out any membranes and the seeds. Set aside.
- Brown ground beef and Italian sausage, drain fat.
- Add marinara sauce and mushrooms.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes till heated through.
- While simmering, mix together the cheeses, egg and Italian seasoning.
- Place peppers in ovenproof pan or baking dish. Fill each pepper with alternating layers, first the meat layer, the a cheese layer, then a meat layer and topping with cheese mixture. It will be somewhat like a lasagna with the layers.
- Bake at 350 F. for about 30 minutes or until the top layer of cheese is nicely browned.
For more bell pepper recipes please see http://www.eatingwell.com.