My dad generally has a bumper crop of zucchinis and loves to share them with others. Fortunately, I have several great recipes for using garden zucchinis in the most delicious ways. As with the other recipes I post, this dish uses common and easy-to-find ingredients.
You can pick up store brand frozen carrots and spinach as well as store brand canned tomatoes, beef broth and Parmesan. To make this recipe more friendly to eating plans such as the Dukan Diet, you may use turkey Italian sausage rather than pork. I like to use hot Italian sausage, but you can use hot or mild, depending on your family's preferences.
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cans of beef broth (14 ounces each)
- 1 tsp bottled, minced garlic
- 1 can of diced tomatoes, juice included
- 1 cup frozen sliced carrots, thawed in the microwave
- 2 small or 1 large zucchini, cubed, with any big seeds removed
- 8 oz frozen chopped spinach
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Spray a dutch oven with olive oil.
- Chop and brown sausage over medium heat until sausage is nicely browned and no pink remains.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the Italian seasoning, tomatoes, carrots, salt and pepper, then stir in the beef broth.
- Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the zucchini and return to boil.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Turn off the burner and mix in the spinach, then cover and leave the soup sit for about 5 minutes.
- Serve in bowls and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
This recipe keeps well for a few days as leftovers. It freezes best in one or two serving containers.