Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

It takes four overtimes for Hopkins Royals to beat Shakopee Sabres

A classic Class AAAA semifinal game came down to sophomore Amir Coffey's half court horn shot in the fourth overtime that lead the Hopkins Royals to a 49-46 win over the Shakopee Sabers Thursday night at Target Center in Minneapolis.

Both teams were slow in breaking into the scoring column as the Sabers used a 2-3 zone defense. John Warren scored the Royals first basket, putting them on a 10-0 run thanks to superb passing and a fast break offense. Jake Maiers got Shakopee on the board 4:12 into the game. Jacob Wright extended the Hopkins lead with a pair of three pointers. Shakopee would score eight in a row, including a three pointer from Brooke Coplin. They would take the lead on Tyler Weiss' three point play. But the Royals were on top again on Coffey's left handed running lay up. Wright would hit his third three and the Royals led 22-19 at the half.

Weiss shifted into overdrive for the Sabers in the second half. He hit a jumper to cut the lead to two and another one to give them the lead. Warren's basket would even the game at 33. The lead would then go back and forth until Stephon Sharp hit a three point play and Even Hagen would even the score at 39. Warren's basket regained the lead for Hopkins but Weiss would tie the game at 41. The Royals would go into a stall to end the game but Coffey missed a jumper and Hagen didn't connect on a half court shot so it was on to overtime.

Hopkins controlled the tip in the first overtime and held the ball. No score. On to second overtime. Same scenario. Same outcome. It's overtime number three. This time it was Shakopee's turn as Weiss hit a three point play and Sharp's free throws cut the lead to one. Steffon Mitchell's basket put the Sabers up by three. The fans would have to wait out another overtime as Warren's three pointer tied the game.

Overtime four had the jump going to Hopkins and Kamali Chambers held the ball until he passed to Coffey and he stepped out of bounds with :05.9 left. Shakopee had a chance to win but Chambers intercepted Hagen's pass and called time out with :02 left. It was Coffey attempting a half court shot as the red light on the backboard went on and it entered the net. After a delay since the officials checked the replay to see if the shot counted the verdict came in as game over, The shot counted and the Royals advanced to Saturday night's championship game against the Lakeville North-Cretin Derham Hall winner at 8 PM at Target Center.

Shakopee will play for third place Saturday afternoon at 4 PM at Ganglehoff Center on the Concordia University campus in St. Paul.

Wright led the Royals with 23 points. Warren added 14. Weiss led the Sabers with 19 points.

Report this ad