All this Super Bowl talk is bringing out my Career Coach persona. I see Coach Pete Carol (Seattle) & Coach John Fox (Denver) explaining Super Bowl strategy and talking schemes without really showing their hand. Both are drawing up game plans on the white-board and as a fellow "coach"...ok, ok "Career Coach", the preparation gets me extremely excited!
What's your Career Search Strategy? Are you running a West Coast Spread (sheet) Job Search? Maybe you're in a (job) Prevent or Cover (letter) Two? Either way it goes, the clock is ticking and the game has started, don't wait until halftime to make your adjustments. Call a time-out and assess your career search game plan.
5 Things to Do During Your Career Search Time Out.
1. Acknowledge success: Make a mental note of what has worked to this point and don't abandon it.
2. Listen to the coaching staff: I hope you're utilizing a Mentor or Career Coach. Career Search is difficult it becomes overwhelming without some support.
3. Speak to your team: There are a ton of people and resources ready and willing to assist you, utilize them.
4. Watch the film: I'm amazed by the resources available on YouTube. Find a video that relates to your career path or a motivational clip to give you an extra boost to keep you up-beat.
5. Stay in the game: It’s not over until you win. Continue to refine your career search tools (resume, LinkedIn profile, cover letters and network) and never give up.
*My Super Bowl pick: Denver 27 - Seattle 17
If you found this article useful and would like to be notified when new content from Kenneth L. Johnson, Diversity Recruiting Expert and President of East Coast Executives is released, please subscribe.