Local Girl Scouts have begun taking pre-orders for their well-known cookies. The cookies come in many delicious flavors, including favorites like:
- Thin Mints
- Trefoils (shortbread)
- Lemon Chalet Cremes
- Dulce de leche (caramel)
- Do-si-dos (peanut butter)
New this year is "Thank U Berry Much," a slightly crunchy cookie accented with real cranberries and white chocolate chips, with just a hint of almond extract, reminiscent of traditional biscotti (they're delicious with a cup of coffee or tea!).
In Oregon & Southwest Washington, cookies this year are $4.00 per box. All of the money from a box of Girl Scout cookies stays in the local community. Here's how the "cookie crumbles":
- Program for girls (camp and other programs): $1.90
- Cost of cookies: $0.87
- Troop proceeds: $0.67 average (this is what the troop earns for each box of cookies sold)
- Opportunity Fund: $0.25 (help to grow Girl Scouting)
- Recognitions: $0.25 (incentives girls earn for selling various numbers of cookies boxes, prizes)
- Service Unit Grant: $0.06 (helps to run the local Girl Scout office in your community)
Girl Scouts also runs a program called "Gift of Caring": Customers can purchase an extra box (or more!) of cookies, which Girl Scouts then donates to a local charity. In Southern Oregon, the Oregon Food Bank will receive Girl Scout cookies in 2010.
If you want to pre-order cookies, but don't know any scouts, click here to find a local Girl Scout troop!