Fact: Legumes (beans) are one of the best foods you can put into your body. Fact: Black beans are one of the most nutritious legumes known to man. Fact: Eat this salad and be healthy! This salad is really a powerhouse of flavors and if you have never had smoked bacon with blue cheese, get ready to tremble!
This is a very easy salad to prepare and it goes well with any broiled, grilled are barbecued entree. Don't worry about prepping the black beans, simply buy a can of the organic ones as they are very tasty and contain no nasty chemicals. You can also use any type of vinegar for the dressing but at least once you should try the raspberry vinegar as the taste of the raspberries greatly enhance each and every ingredients in this salad (which is why I created it with raspberry vinegar).
Ingredients needed to make Southwestern Black Bean and Bacon Salad (serves 2):
- 1 15-ounce can black beans
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 Tbs. minced cilantro
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. raspberry vinegar
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 Tbs. blue (bleu) cheese
- Place the black beans into a colander and rinse under cold running water.
- Into a medium bowl combine the black beans, tomato, shallots and cilantro.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil and raspberry vinegar.
- Pour the dressing over the beans, toss to coat and let sit 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Toss the bacon and blue cheese into the salad.
- Spoon onto serving plates and enjoy!
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards, "Edwardian Cooking: The Unofficial Downton Abbey Cookbook" is now available worldwide and features 80 dishes from the era of the most acclaimed television show in the history of PBS, Downton Abbey.