Skip to main content

See also:

Islanders win final game in shootout

Islanders celebrate a goal against the Buffalo Sabres.
Islanders celebrate a goal against the Buffalo Sabres.
Photo by Jen Fuller/Getty Images

The New York Islanders played their final game of the regular season against the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday April 13th at the First Niagara Center in Buffalo, New York. The Islanders ended the season with a record of 34-37-11, after the 4-3 shootout victory against the Sabres.

Buffalo would put up the only score in the first period from a Jamie McBain snap shot. Almost eight minutes into the second, Matt Ellis would score another goal for Buffalo to go ahead 2-0. At 16:43 Anders Lee would put up the first score for the islanders on a power play opportunity. Frans Nielsen would try a wide angled shot from the right post only to be denied. Pulling the puck behind the net, Nielsen would lob the puck up and over in front of Connor Knapp, the Buffalo netminder, and Lee would settle the puck and send it threw the five-hole for the score.

Only 17 seconds into the third period Ander Lee would score once again, to tie the game. After taking control of the puck in the neutral zone, Lee would streak down the right side of the ice and take a back hand shot that would sail over Knapp's blocker for the wide-angle score.

Half-way through the third period Buffalo's Torrey Mitchell would score, putting the Sabres in the lead once again, 3-2. With about four minutes left in the game, Brock Nelson would score to tie the game and to send it into overtime. After crossing the blue line and splitting two defenders, Nelson would rip off a shot that would go top right corner of the net for the tie, 3-3.

After a scoreless overtime period, the Islanders final game of the season would be decided in a shootout. The only goal in the shootout would come from Brock Nelson after taking the puck over the blue line and down the right side. Nelson would go to his backhand and back to his forehand with a quick shot that would hit the left post and deflect off of Knapp's back and into the goal. Anders Nilsson would then make the next and final stop of the night to give the Islanders the 4-3 win.