1. AXS Entertainment
  2. Arts & Entertainment
  3. Music

Is the era of vinyl and recorded music over?

Grease Soundtrack
The era of the 7inch 45 may be over but is recorded music dead?

In an interview for the Guardian,  Brian Eno, the father of 'Ambient' ,  stated he feels that recorded music is over.

"I think records were just a little bubble through time and those who made a living from them for a while were lucky. There is no reason why anyone should have made so much money from selling records except that everything was right for this period of time. I always knew it would run out sooner or later. It couldn't last, and now it's running out. I don't particularly care that it is and like the way things are going. The record age was just a blip. It was a bit like if you had a source of whale blubber in the 1840s and it could be used as fuel. Before gas came along, if you traded in whale blubber, you were the richest man on Earth. Then gas came along and you'd be stuck with your whale blubber. Sorry mate – history's moving along. Recorded music equals whale blubber. Eventually, something else will replace it." - Brian Eno

Is it? Surely not.  In todays era where it is becoming 'Hip to be square' by spinning the classic vinyl again, in a day and age where downloads of mp3s is a booming business, how can one state it is over?

Recorded music will always  be a way for fans to carry with them their favorite tunes, to enjoy anytime and anywhere.  And it shall be the way bands get their music out to the fans for a long time to come.

What say you? Is recorded music becomming a dinosaur?  Where and how do you listen to your favorite music? Is the surge in vinyl just a blip on the radar of music?

Comments

• Elizabeth Kelly: Knoxville Healthy Food Examiner 4 years ago

As long as there are dance clubs and radios, there will have to be some form of recorded music. That said, Eno is a GENIUS, so I'd listen to him carefully!

• Pamela G. Creative Writing Examiner 4 years ago

I think eventually, everything will just be available for download and there won't even be CD's. That being said, the good news is that independent bands have as much of a chance of marketing their work as the biggest names. The bad news is that independent bands have as much of a chance, too, no matter how terrible they are. LOL.

• Sherri Thornhill-Generation X Examiner 4 years ago

You gave me an idea for a future gen x article! I still own lots of vinyl, old and new and a record player. There is something about the scratchiness of an LP that just makes me smile!

• K K Thornton - Dallas Ethnic Foods Examiner 4 years ago

I love Brian Eno! Always have. Always will. Nice to see a fellow AC contributor. :) Subscribed.

• Susan Leak 4 years ago

Yes, Enos is beyond a genius, but that said, I am still curious as to how he foresees music being shared if not recorded?
    Vinyl has stood the test of time....and CDs, even with the age of mp3s is still a viable means to share music.

• Emylou Lewis 4 years ago

Hi from AC Susan! :-) I subscribed.

Third culture kids examiner
    Seattle stay-at-home moms examiner

• Charlene Collins - Atlanta Family Health Examiner 4 years ago

Giving some page love.

• Carol Roach, Montreal Mental Health Examiner 4 years ago

I don't get this guy

• Ayepea 4 years ago

Records are still very much a movement in music, with indie labels, and even some majors partaking in the release of vinyl. Companies such as Stonesthrow/Now and Again records, pride themselves (and have made a ton of money, Im sure)in the art of records. Within the last year and a half, companies like Best buy have started to sell 12"albums in some parts of the country only re-enforcing the fact the record is still relevant.. brian eno is entitled to his opinion, but seriously he should have known better than this.. either way I will listen to "by a river" later today, and not care either way
    PEACE