Remember that in the previous article Christ invited the young rich man in Matthew 19 to be His disciple.
- “Then Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, "One thing you lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross,(burden) and follow Me" (Mark 10:21).
- “But he was sad at this word, and went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions” (Verse 22).
His riches meant more to him than Christ and he didn’t want to share his wealth with the poor.
- Christ then said, "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" (Mark 10:25)
- “When His disciples heard it, they were greatly astonished, saying, "Who then can be saved? But Jesus looked at them and said to them, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible!” (Matthew 19:25-26)
For a rich man who trusts in his riches to enter the kingdom – to be saved - it is impossible! His mind and actions have to change! When a man’s mind or eyes are opened to the reality of the Kingdom and of God’s Holy Spirit and what it all means, that is a miracle from God because the carnal (fleshly) mind is enmity against God.
- “For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God” (Romans 8:6-8).
The real issue in Matthew 19 and Mark 10 is not about whether a camel can go through the eye of a needle, it is about whether or not a rich man can enter the kingdom of God!
Nothing we do on our own will gain us the Kingdom. When we repent and ask for forgiveness for breaking God’s Laws and Commandments and are baptized then we are given God's Holy Spirit which gives us Christ’s righteousness! His sacrifice pictured at the Passover justifies us and then His resurrection to spirit life three days and three nights later gives us the hope of eternal life! That is a miracle! With God ALL things are possible!
God actually wants us to be prosperous!
- “Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers” (3 John 1:2).
Remember the prophets of old which also included Abraham, were rich.
- “Abram was very rich in livestock, in silver, and in gold” (Genesis 13:2). Also (Solomon, Ecclesiastes 2:7), (The Israelites, Deuteronomy 8:18), and (Job, Job 1:3, Job 31:25), etc.
So the question is: Is it possible for a rich man to inherit the Kingdom of God?
The answer is “YES” as long as he is trusting in God and not in his own riches!
- "Children, how hard it is for those who trust in riches to enter the kingdom of God” (Mark 10: 24)!