Internet dating is just as safe or risky as any other type of dating.
No matter what vehicle you choose to use to meet someone, the same risks are present. You must use common sense and intuition along with taking safety precautions listed on dating sites to try to keep yourself as safe as feasibly possible.
Some ways to minimize the risk of harm are listed on various Internet dating sites and include:
- Meet in public.
- Let someone know where you are going and whom you are meeting.
- Do not allow the person to pick you up or take you home.
- Allow sufficient time to get to know the person before letting them know where you live.
- Allow sufficient time to get to know the person before being alone with them in a private place.
- Goggle the person’s name.
- Match’s safety tips.
- eHarmony’s safety tips.
- About.com's safety tips.
- How to avoid being ‘Catfished’.
This isn’t the first time that someone sued Match for an assault, and it probably won’t be the last. A sexual assault was discussed back in April, 2011.
In this day and age of violence at work, in school, and on dates, you must be proactive and vigilant when meeting people and going about your daily activities. Your safety lies in your own hands.