Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Irish storm over Knights

A late afternoon downpour dampened the playing surface somewhat at Endres Field for Friday night's battle between Richwoods and Notre Dame. However, there was no dampening of spirit for this highly anticipated match up either on the field or in the stands. The crowd was large and frenzied. The players were hitting hard. At least until mother nature took the reigns by forcing a lightning delay with 2 minutes left in the first half.

Notre Dame took the opening kickoff 69 yards in just four plays for an early 7-0 lead. Andy Shadid ripped off two long gains followed by Luke Shadid's 18 yard touchdown scamper just over a minute and a half into the game.

Undaunted, Richwoods took the next ten minutes off the clock on a time consuming drive that stalled on fourth down at the Irish 14 when a corner lob from Damion Gillespie to Steve Covington was nearly caught in tight coverage, but fell incomplete. The Knights converted two fourth down plays on the drive and employed a nice mix of the pass and the run.

On Notre Dame's ensuing drive, the Knights' defense stuffed the Irish on fourth and one at the Richwoods 38. Once again, the Knights, led by some fine running on the part of Gillespie and junior Shundale Wilcox, controlled the ball on a nice drive down to the visitors' 16 yard line. Another fourth down try failed at that point, however, and the Irish took over with 4:54 to play in the half and had possession when the game was halted at the 2:08 mark. Just short of two hours later, the Irish resumed their possession and marched convincingly down the field before Demarco Washington took in a two yard keeper at the 18 second mark. Notre Dame took a 14-0 lead into the abbreviated halftime.

Richwoods' failure to capitalize on the two first half drives came back to haunt them early in the third period. A Knights' fumble on the opening possession led to a six play Irish touchdown drive and it was suddenly 21-0. After Andy Shadid ran in it from 53 yards at the 6:01 mark of the third quarter and David Shadid blocked a punt resulting in yet another Irish score, the rout was on. It was 42-0 when the final gun went off.

In other games, Manual gave state ranked Rock Island all it could handle before bowing to the Rocks, 19-12. Similarly, Central showed very well in going up to Rock Island Alleman and thrashing the Pioneers, 50-7.

Report this ad