Skip to main content

See also:

iPhone fire: Maine teen burned after iPhone caught fire in back pocket

This story brings new meaning to the phrase, "Pants on Fire".

A 13-year-old irl was burned after her iPhone caught fire while in her back pocket.
A 13-year-old irl was burned after her iPhone caught fire while in her back pocket.
Newsy Screenshot

A 13-year-old Maine girl was injured while starting class on Friday after her iPhone caught fire while in her back pocket.

According to Seacoast Online, the 8th grader was on her way to her first class for the day at The Middle School of the Kennebunks when she heard a loud pop come from her back pocket. Classmates said they saw smoke coming out of her pants pocket.

Several classmates were quick to respond however the teen did sustain first and second degree burns.

Kennebunk Fire Rescue responded to the bizarre incident and took the teen to Southern Maine Health Care Center where she was treated for "moderate" injuries and was later released.

The students were commended on their quick response to the situation, prompting the teen to "stop, drop and roll" as she attempted to remove her burning pants. The quick thinking students also grabbed a fire extinguisher and blankets to help put the fire out.

EMS Division Chief Andrew Palmeri believes the fire started because the battery shorted out.

The state fire chief is investigating, according to reports.

(Portions of this report came from the video summary)

For even more strange news, check out our partner Outlandishnews.com.