Skip to main content

See also:

iPhone catches fire: Second degree burns caused by iPhone, lit up in her pocket

An iPhone caught fire this week in the pants pocket of a 14-year-old school girl, causing second degree burns. While the student was walking into her eighth grade class in Maine, the iPhone reportedly lit up, burning both her thigh and her back. NewsMax reports this Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2014, that Apple has not yet commented on the incident, though both school and police officials are looking into what appears to have been a freak accident.

An iPhone laid down upon a table
Courtesy of Creative Commons, TheNextWeb

When an iPhone catches fire, the scary news that can suddenly happen to this common portable technology is certain to turn heads. The 14-year-old student hails from Kennebunk, Maine, and was just entering her first period class when she said that she and a couple of her friends heard strange popping sounds coming from her Apple iPhone 5C.

Smoke was suddenly said to rise up around the student, and flashes of flames could be seen from both the victim and her screaming classmates as the device quite literally lit up.

"Immediately, smoke starts billowing from around the student," Jeff Rodman, principal of the Middle School of the Kennebunks, told the Portland Press Herald. "She knew right away something was wrong and, in a panic, knew her pants were on fire caused by the cell phone."

The student was then told by a teacher to stop, drop, and roll in an attempt to put out the iPhone catching fire. She did so, and the phone reportedly fell out from her pocket while she was rolling around to put out the flames. According to the school principal, the Apple iPhone continued to smolder and evident burn marks could be seen on both the portable device as well as the student’s pants pockets.

“The girl then reportedly tore off her pants as her teacher and fellow female classmates surrounded her in the corner of the room while other teachers removed the boys to ensure her privacy. The girl was subsequently wrapped in a blanket until first responders arrived.”

The press release adds that the teen girl in this iPhone catches fire scare will be all right, but she’s certainly shocked by the ordeal. She suffered second degree burns on one of her thighs and part of her back. The 14-year-old student is said to be in good condition and even wanted to return to class after she was treated at a local hospital. However, she was told to take the day off in order to recover.

"She’s very calm – just a calm person," said child’s mother.

Apple has not yet formally responded to this particular incident of one of its iPhones catching fire, though there have been previous reports of this frightening occurrence happening in the past.