Keeping yourself motivate to keeping fit is hard enough, but how do you go about keeping the rest of the family motivated as well? Not everyone may share your views of maintaining a healthy and trim body. Technically, fitness is more than regular exercise. It also involves eating right and getting proper nutrition. With that in mind, what are some ways you can get your family to be more fit?
1. Changing the Menu - It's much too easy to pull up to the drive through window after a long day of work. For the health of yourself and your family, you need to stay motivate to provide a nutritious meal. There are many recipes in order to throw together a quick meal. A grilled chicken salad, for example, takes very little time as chicken cooks relatively quick. Throw in some raw spinach, mushrooms, shredded cheese and onions, and you have one of the most healthiest salads you'll ever eat.
2. Monitor Snacking - Many parents have after school snacks available for their children. Instead of handing out cupcakes or chocolate bars, why not hand them a small bowl of mixed fruits? Naturally sweetened, fruits can do far more for the children than any sugar-loaded snack can. This will allow you to provide the vitamins and minerals that their growing bodies need while staving off the saturated fats that can cause obesity.
3. Outdoor Games - When the weather permits, why not join your children outside for some active fun? A game of tag can go on for hours and burn a great deal of calories as well as energy for a good night’s rest. Grab a soccer ball and go to the park for an hour or so. Perhaps you can throw together a picnic at the park and play a few outdoor games such as basketball or disc golf. There are so many activities you can do with the children that will get everyone's blood pumping and muscles working.
4. Family Calisthenics - Find an activity that everyone would like to participate in three times per week. This can be anything from yoga to working out with those DVDs that are sitting on your shelf. Children love to be included in various activities they perceive adults enjoying. As long as you don't make it seem like work, you may wind up acquiring an exercise buddy or two.
5. Kiddie Olympics - After watching the events of the Olympic Games on television, why not make your own events for the children and their friends? Devise easy to play games, and you could even pick up awards and trophies from the local dollar store. Games could include virtually anything that is physical and skill oriented. Carrying an egg on a spoon for 20 yards or so can be an event as the one who can do it the fastest without breaking his or her egg wins.
As long as you can get excited about the activity, your children may feel like-minded. Children are quite impressionable and can be influenced to do many activities as long as you can provide an energetic atmosphere. You need to exude enthusiasm for fitness if you want the children to feel the same. If you approach it as more of a chore, then the effort will be less than ideal.
Always curious, Ashley Hardway is constantly learning and passionate about sharing what she learns with others. Based in Houston, Texas, she loves to help families grow stronger, help their environments and communities, and keep moving forward! Check out https://twitter.com/NannyLady on Twitter to connect and find out more.