According to a Dec. 8 post from MMA Junkie, Barb Honchak outlasted hard-hitting knockout artist Leslie Smith to retain her flyweight belt in the main event of Invicta FC 7 at the Ameristar Casino in Kansas City, Missouri.
In the Invicta FC 7 co-main, Lauren Murphy survived an early onslaught from Miriam Nakamoto to take home the inaugural Invicta FC bantamweight belt.
Nakamoto’s right knee buckled underneath her in the third round, and the bout was called off in the fourth frame when she was deemed unable to continue.
The ref stoppage came at the 23-second mark of the fourth round.
Also on the Invicta FC 7 main card, Bellator veteran Felice Herrig fell short against Florida Muay Thai ace Tecia "The Tiny Tornado" Torres.
Torres won in fairly lopsided fashion, earning a unanimous decision victory on the judge's scorecards.
Torres wasn't ranked in the top 10 coming into the fight, but she may have punched her way into title contention by taking out the No. 5-ranked strawweight in the world.
In another main card tilt, Joanne Calderwood battered Katja Kankaanpaa for three rounds, proving that she's one of the best 115-pounders in the world.
Calderwood won via unanimous decision victory.
Rounding out the Invicta FC 7 main card, Canadian featherweight star Julia Budd showcased her dominant striking en route to a unanimous decision victory over fellow Canadian Charmaine Tweet, and Vanessa Porto utilized her solid Muay Thai game to score a unanimous decision win over Zoila Gurgel.
On the Invicta FC 7 preliminary card, Tonya Evinger showed off her solid wrestling skills to earn a decision win over Sarah D'Alelio, and Nina Ansaroff opened the event with a knockout victory over Bellator veteran Munah Holland.
Ansaroff, who was making her Invicta FC debut, earned the stoppage at the 3:54 mark of the second frame.
Invicta FC 7 results:
- Barb Honchak def. Leslie Smith via unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 49-46) – to retain flyweight title
- Lauren Murphy def. Miriam Nakamoto via TKO (injury) – Round 4, 0:23 – for inaugural bantamweight title
- Tecia Torres def. Felice Herrig via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Joanne Calderwood def. Katja Kankaanpaa via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Julia Budd def. Charmaine Tweet via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Vanessa Porto def. Zoila Frausto Gurgel via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Tonya Evinger def. Sarah D’Alelio via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Nina Ansaroff def. Munah Holland via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 3:54