There are three key areas having a major impact on shaping a generation: historical events, the world of entertainment and the inventions that come into widespread usage. In the case of Generation X there are many significant inventions that change the way they lived while growing up.
Technological inventions were just beginning to develop with the most notable being those having an impact on the way music was enjoyed and television was watched. Sony proved to be a leader but their record was not flawless. Although the Walkman was a tremendous hit they struck out with their entry in home video, the Betamax. In the United States and Canada the VCR overruled the Betamax giving it a quick death – only to be favored over the VCR in South America.
Here is a brief list of inventions gaining popularity during the shaping of Generation X:
- Post-it note
©2014 Max Impact, used with permission.
Learn more about today’s generations:
- Builders / Traditionalists, also known as the greatest generation, born before 1944
- Baby boomers, sometimes relabeled the sandwich generation, born between 1943 and 1964
- Generation X, born between 1961 and 1980
- Generation Y, sometimes referred to as the millennial generation, born between 1977 and 2000
- Millennials, sometimes referred to as generation Z, born after 1998
- “Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Boomers, Gen Xers, and Gen Yers in the Workplace”
- “Because I Said So! ”: The Truth Behind the Myths, Tales, and Warnings Every Generation Passes Down to Its Kids.
- “When Generations Collide”: Who They Are. Why They Clash. How to Solve the Generational Puzzle at Work.
- More books about generations.
- For viewing: Thousands of vintage old television program and classic movies at Amazon Prime. Get a free trail