As the eyes of the world turn to the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics and we witness some of the finest athletes in the world compete in their chosen sport, there is no need to be watching on an empty stomach! As the world gathers in Sochi, Russia, we bring the world together in the kitchen and celebrate international diversity with some classic world famous desserts.
Simply put, this is one of my favorite desserts. A lavishly rich pound cake, a moist and delicate crumb, a perfect light crust and a flavor brimming with the creamy sweet taste of butter and a slight zing of sour cream.
This is a classic American traditional cake. Serve this with some fresh fruit, fresh fruit compote or a dollop of slightly sweetened vanilla whipped cream. Another great use of this cake is for a breakfast treat. Slice a few pieces, place them on a baking pan and toast them. When done slather them with sweet creamery butter, a drizzle of pure honey and enjoy a great start to your day.
Ingredients needed to make Sour Cream Pound Cake (makes 1 cake):
- 3 cups flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 Tbs. vanilla
- 1 ¼ cups sour cream
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Lightly oil and dust with flour a 10-inch tube or bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar 5 minutes. Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir half the flour mixture into the butter. Stir in the sour cream and then stir in the remaining flour.
- In a large bowl whisk the egg white to form stiff peaks. Stir ¼ of the egg whites into the batter.
- Fold the remaining egg whites into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Place in oven and bake 90 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan 15 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and let cool on a rack.
The internationally bestselling cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards, "Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals," is now in it's third printing and available worldwide in both hard cover and e-book versions. The paperback version will be released March 4, 2014.