Generally when you think of NBA All Star weekend, the focus is always on the athletic players that make up the team. Many makeup artists, hair stylists, and wardrobe stylists dream of being a part of the Glam Squad during NBA All Star weekend. The magic takes place backstage, and I got a chance to see what it takes to get 3 hosts, 41 dancers, and halftime performers ready for showtime as I shadow the NBA All Star Key Makeup Artist Brandy Gomez-Duplessis. She shared with me makeup tips for TV, and favorite beauty products she loves to use on the talent.
1. How long have you been working with the NBA? I joined the NBA for All Star Weekend in 2008 as the Key makeup artist when they came to New Orleans and I have been with them ever since.
2. How exciting, are you a sports fan? I’m not a big sports fan so I think that’s why they keep me around because I don’t bother any of the players since I don’t know who many of them are (laughing).
3. What are the job duties as a Key Makeup Artist during NBA All Star Weekend? I get asked this question all the time (laughing). Being a Key Makeup Artist, I have a team that helps me with doing makeup on the NBA Fan Patrol, and NBA All Star Dancers. I am also in charge of doing makeup on the hosts, music artists and their dancers. On Sunday morning I also do makeup at the Legends Brunch just mostly quick touch up’s on the players and host.
4. What is your favorite thing about doing makeup for All Star Weekend? My favorite thing about working All Star Weekend is creating makeup looks for the NBA Fan Patrol & NBA All Star Dancers. Meeting with the stylist and hair stylist we talk about fashion, hair, and makeup. Seeing the looks on television and/or jumbo screens is everything!
5. What type of beauty & makeup products you use during this event? During All Star I prefer using long wearing products on the host, dancers, music artists and dancers. This year I used Beauty Blender sponges to apply foundations and concealers for a flawless finish. A must have are Shadow Shield’s to help from making a mess when creating smoky eyes. Both L’OREAL Paris and Stila cosmetics have great long wearing eye liners, lip gloss, and Stay All Day HD Foundation & Concealer. Sexyhair provided us with their amazing products to keep everyone hair voluptuous. Every year L’OREAL Paris provides me their Men's Expert Eye Roller, I use it a lot on the ball players and male music artists. To keep my ladies glowing on stage I always use Benefits "High Beam & Sun Beam" and Smashbox "Reflection High Shine Lipgloss" Because I'm an old-school makeup artist I still reach for a white eye pencil, NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk is great for television.
6. What music artists did you work with this year? This year I worked with more male music artists this year like Diddy, Earth Wind & Fire, Vanilla Ice, Jason Derulo, Kendrick Lamar, Trombone Shorty, Gary Clark, Jr, and Dr. John. My only females were Megan Miller and Victoria Bailey who’s a backup singer for Earth Wind & Fire.
There you have it a glimpse of what it is like behind the scenes with the Glam Squad, and NBA All Star Key Makeup Artist Brandy Gomez-Duplessis during NBA All Star weekend.
You can follow Brandy Gomez-Duplessis on twitter @BGDMakeupArtist, or by visiting her website http://www.bgdmakeupartistry.com/.