What is the book Employed for Life (EFL) about?
- EFL is a 360° look at employment and careers in the 21st Century.
- EFL discusses research and insights from Human Resource (HR) executives, recruiters, employees and hiring managers on what is required to be employed and employable for life.
- EFL offer practical advice on staying employed for 50-60 years, the potential work span for many people today.
- EFL shares best practice from leading HR executives on modern day talent management.
- EFL provides insights form recruiters for both employers and employees in a dynamic job market.
What forces are changing the nature of work today and tomorrow?
- Extended longevity has reshaped the concept of retirement and made it possible to have more than one full-scale career in a lifetime.
- The rapid acceleration of technology has changed the way we work and find work and who we compete with for work.
- Globalization creates an expanded marketplace but increases competition.
- Diversity, including increased ethnic, gender, technology, multiple generations have created added complexity to the workforce.
How does longevity impact career planning?
- Retirement at age 65 is passé—Many of today’s workers are living and working longer, the concept of retirement at 65 is now outdated. Many people will find themselves working long past that age, some out of necessity but others out of a desire to remain productive and stimulated into their 60s, 70s, and beyond.
- The ability to afford a house has been replaced by the ability to afford to live to 100. Americans are financially not prepared to support themselves through retirement. Longevity also has increased the likelihood that individuals will have multiple careers in their lifetime.
- In the future we will be an agent economy moving from project-to-project, firm-to-firm to gain the experience we need. The portfolio career is a new reality. The typical worker today is holding a job for only 4.4 years. (BLS 2012), 1 out of 3 are working part time or freelancing (www.freelanceunion.com)
To learn more about technologies with the potential to reshape your job read the book Employed for Life, 21st Century Career Trends.
Dr. Tracey Wilen is a prominent thought leader on the impact of technology on society, work and careers. She’s been a scholar at Stanford University and has held leadership positions at Apple, HP, Cisco, and the Apollo Group. Dr. Wilen has authored 11 books. Her new book Employed for Life , 21st Century career trends was just released.
She has appeared on CNN, Fox and CBS news, in The Wall Street Journal, Chicago Tribune, Forbes, Los Angeles Times, and USA Today. She frequently contributes to The Huffington Post, the Examiner, and the Christian Science Monitor and is on radio shows across the US weekly as an expert guest. She is a global speaker on the impact of technology on work, careers, and women’s leadership. She was honored by the San Francisco Business Times as a 2012 Most Influential Woman in Bay Area Business. www.traceywilen.com, @traceywilen
Dr. Wilen is on a corporate speaking tour on the topic of 21st Century Careers and can be reached traceywilen.com, @traceywilen or FB Dr.TraceyWilen