Call for Choreographers!
R Residency Activities:
AUG 10, 2010
The Old Town Temecula Community Theater is now accepting applications from local choreographers, from Riverside and San Diego Counties, who wish to participate in BARE INTENSITY. This is a ‘reverse residency’ project funded through InnerState, a statewide dance project managed by ODC Theater, and made possible through the generous support of the James Irvine Foundation.
Six local choreographers, who work/reside in Riverside or San Diego Counties, will be given the opportunity to create a professional-quality dance work on BARE Dance Company members.
Choreographers will be given three days to work with the professional dancers in creating their piece; rehearsals are scheduled for Sunday, October 24th, Monday, October 25th, and Tuesday, October 26th. Rehearsal space will be provided. Technical rehearsal, dress rehearsal, and the performance are scheduled for Wednesday, October 27th at the Old Town Temecula Community Theater. *Choreographers must be available for all scheduled rehearsals and the performance.
The BARE INTENSITY reverse residency project will be professionally filmed, and an edited documentary will be archived with the Dance Films Association. Choreographers will be asked to participate in interviews and allow for filming of the full creative process, including rehearsals and performance
Choreographers will receive:
· $500 stipend for this commission
· Their choreography to be included in a fully-produced concert on stage at the Old Town Temecula Community Theater (October 27th)
· Full credit, with a bio, in the performance program
· An edited copy of the finished documentary
In an intensive, four-day time-frame, local choreographers will have the opportunity to work with professional dancers, and local dancers will learn from the artistic director and experience the work ethic of a professional dance company:
• Six local choreographers will be selected to set individual works on BARE Dance Company dancers.
• The 14 BARE dancers will be divided into groups based on the local choreographer’s intent.
• BARE Dance Company’s Artistic Director, Mike Esperanza, will set a will set a new group piece on selected local dancers.
• Select local dancers will be chosen to learn BARE Dance Company repertory.
• All work generated through this process will be presented in a fully-produced concert on stage.
• Scholarships will be awarded to promising participating dance students.
• Residency activities will be videotaped including interviews with participants and patrons. The resulting, edited documentary will be distributed to all participants and archived with the Dance Films Association
TUE, AUG 10
Issue Call for Choreographers with a September 7 deadline for submittal.
TUE, AUG 17 @ 7pm
Dance Moves in the Merc
Mike will describe the BARE Intensity residency and answer any questions.
TUE, SEP 21 @ 7pm
Dance Moves on Stage
Meet with the selected choreographers to discuss the particulars of the residency and to meet the dancers assigned to each of the choreographers. BARE Dance Company members will participate in Dance Moves.
SAT, OCT 2 @ 9am
Audition local dancers on the stage starting at 9am.
TUE, OCT 19 @ 7pm
Dance Moves on Stage
Meet with the selected local dancers to discuss the particulars of the residency and answer any questions. City Ballet of LA will participate in Dance Moves.
Choreographers from Riverside or San Diego Counties who are interested in creating a work on dancers from the BARE Dance Company should send the following by the September 7th deadline (postmark):
that includes the following information
1. Name, address,
2. Local dance
affiliation(s), i.e. - schools, companies, dance studios, etc.
3. Brief statement
about your strengths
as a choreographer
and what you would bring to this unique reverse residency project.
4. Description of the work you wish to choreograph.
Please be as specific as possible, indicate style and approximate length of piece, number of dancers needed, technical requirements needed for the piece, and anything else that we would need to consider to help you fulfill your project.
highlighting your work as a choreographer
(or a URL address included in the
that best shows your choreographic skill.
This should be 5-15 minutes in length and does not need to be a video of the proposed project but should exemplify the typical quality of your work as a choreographer.
should be sent to:
Bruce A. Beers
Old Town Temecula Community Theater
42051 Main Street
Temecula, CA 92590
Choreographers will be chosen by the residency coordinating committee designated by the Old Town Temecula Community Theater.
Decisions will be
based on the quality of the applications received and the variety of proposals,
in relation to the project,
as a whole.
A diversity of choreographic approaches and unique array of dances are encouraged.
The artistic director of BARE Dance Company will make the final decisions about the specific dancers available or appropriate for each of the choreographer’s proposed projects.
Decisions will be made by TUE, SEP 14, 2010.