Call of Duty is a polarizing franchise. Although it has seemingly been loosing traction with fans on the public front, the competitive scene has all but done the opposite. With more and more fans showing up at each competitive event, developer support is becoming more important with each passing installment.
One thing Treyarch undoubtedly does better than Infinity Ward is incorporate these competitive features into the vanilla game. With things like CoD Caster and League Play, Treyarch has always been on the forefront of pushing the series into the competitive scene.
Acknowledging that they're behind the curve, Infinity Ward has release a list of improvements they will be incorporating into the "Call of Duty: Ghosts" competitive feature set in order to make the experience better for the casters, players and fans. Infinity Ward posted the following:
The team at Infinity Ward wants to express our sincere thanks for the recent dialogue we’ve had with the competitive community. Each constructive conversation, message board post and reddit thread has had a positive impact on our development process. We’re always lurking and listening!
As we tweeted last week during UMG Philly, we'd like to announce some updates we plan to roll out as soon as possible to support competitive Call of Duty based on your feedback. These will appear as both hot fixes and TUs in the coming weeks alongside planned changes to the areas of Ghosts affecting all players, such as spawns. As a guiding principle, development priority is assigned to those issues which we deem to have the largest immediate impact or those affecting the broadest group of players. We'll keep the Upcoming Improvements to Call of Duty: Ghosts page updated in this respect. Watch out for more info coming soon.
Regarding eSports specifically in the immediate future, we aim to:
- Restrict Ghillie suits in competitive rules.
- Restrict Tracker Sights in competitive rules.
- Restrict Danger Close in competitive rules.
- Disable third-person spectating in competitive Private Matches.
- Add a kill feed to Broadcaster mode.
- Address Broadcaster mode stability (squash crash bugs).
Additionally, we’re committed to delivering the below (in no particular order):
- Removal of split-screen in Private match when eSports rules are enabled.
- Add eSports rules to Clan vs. Clan playlist.
- Open Clan v Clan playlist to allow solo player entry & mixed clan teams.
- Modify Dead Silence/Amplify functionality.
- Resolve the defuse timer animation discrepancy.
- Modify the defuse time sound effects if the defuse process is cancelled.
- Add game action overlays where needed (flag captures, etc.).
- Resolve the leaderboard’s red death indicator delay.
- Roll over player in scoreboard to highlight arrow in mini-map.
- Investigating the addition of Xbox One LAN support.
We realize this doesn't cover every request made to date; only those we are confident we can deliver at this time. We'll keep you posted regarding future updates. We are committed to providing the best possible multiplayer experience we can and will continue to work on improvements to make it better. Please keep the communication coming, thanks for your support and we’ll see you online.
Hopefully these new improvements will help further grow the competitive Call of Duty scene. In the mean time, let me know what you think by commenting below, subscribing to me here, on YouTube at YouTube/Pitmonkey or by following me on Twitter @NicholasGigante.