Skip to main content
  1. News
  2. Top News

Infected rat: Child dies from his infected pet rat; family now suing Petco

See also

An infected rat, purchased by a San Diego family, has led to the death of a 10-year-old boy, who reportedly contracted a serious bacterial infection. The family says the infection was passed to the boy from the rat, and Petco is to blame.

According to The Associated Press on Tuesday, as carried by Yahoo! News, Aidan Pankey died in June of 2013, hours after being rushed to the hospital with complaints of severe stomach pains. John Gomez, attorney for the Pankey family, filed a lawsuit Monday against Petco, seeking damages for past and continued pain and emotional suffering.

The San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office ruled that Aidan died from a streptobacillus moniliformis infection – commonly known as “rat-bite fever.”

Petco released a statement at the time, expressing their commiseration.

"We are deeply saddened by the Pankey family's tragic loss. The health and safety of people and pets is always a top priority, and we take the family's concerns very seriously."

The AP report picks up the story:

The boy's grandmother purchased the male rat, which Aidan named Alex, because her only grandson wanted a mate for his female pet rat, Gomez said. The boy took the rat home May 27, 2012, and woke up the night of June 11 in severe pain with a fever and stomach problems. He was pale, lethargic and could barely walk, according to the lawsuit. He died at 1:09 a.m. the next day.

"He was a bright, energetic, friendly, happy kid who actually had a prior rat, who was a female, and he had this idea in his young head of having his female rat get married," Gomez said.

Aidan Pankey's family had never even heard of the disease that claimed his life; they say Petco never should have sold the rat to anyone.

The family waited to file suit against the pet store because they had to confirm the cause of death was directly attributable to the infected rat. Lab results from the federal Centers for Disease Control indicated the rat was carrying the infection, which can be passed via bites, scratches, or even handling an infected rodent.

The lawsuit alleged that Petco should have tested the rat and known about its health and not sold it to the family. They also said Petco failed to post adequate warnings of the potential health risks in owning a rat.

"Clearly there were not sufficient safety procedures in place at Petco when they sold this rat," Gomez said.

Aidan's death has devastated the family. His father, Andrew Pankey, says he can no longer eat or sleep, and was forced to take a leave of absence from work.

"He was my family," Andrew said. "I'm probably down 30 to 35 pounds since then. I don't even get hungry. I just go until I pass out."

Petco Animal Supplies Inc. said it is "in the process of investigating these claims and will respond appropriately when we have more information."

Related Article:

Rat tail is a 96-year-old's birthday cake surprise in gross out birthday gala

Advertisement

News

  • Mt. Everest avalanche
    Disaster strikes Mt. Everest as at least 12 people were killed in an avalanche
    Video
    Watch Video
  • Most Earthlike planet discovered
    The Kepler telescope has discovered the most Earthlike, possibly habitable planet yet
    Space News
  • Easter crosses create debate
    Easter crosses spark a debate of separation of church and state in Ohio
    Headlines
  • Chelsea Clinton is preggers
    Former first daughter Chelsea Clinton is pregnant with her first child
    Headlines
  • Stanley Cup playoffs
    The battle for Lord Stanley's Cup is on, don't miss a minute of playoff action
    Sports
  • Ukraine discussed amongst U.S., E.U., Russia
    The U.S., E.U. and Russia agree on ways to diffuse the tension in Ukraine
    Video
    Watch Video

User login

Log in
Sign in with your email and password. Or reset your password.
Write for us
Interested in becoming an Examiner and sharing your experience and passion? We're always looking for quality writers. Find out more about Examiner.com and apply today!