On January 1, it will no longer be legal to sell 40W and 60W incandescent light bulbs. While compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs) and light-emitting diodes (LEDs) take less energy per unit of light delivered, they are not without environmental downsides. If you break a CFL, you have dangerous levels of mercury in your environment (probably your home). If they break in the landfill, they pollute the land and water. Even if CFLs did not break, they cause another form of mercury pollution.
Each substance has wavelengths of light that it emits when heated and these are the same wavelengths that it absorbs. Since most of us have or have had mercury amalgams in our mouth and therefore mercury is in our body, our mercury absorbs this light energy emitted by CFLs and becomes more active, both while we are exposed and for some time afterward. The consequences will depend where in the body the mercury is and what other toxins and stimulii are also present.
Because cell phones cause the blood-brain barrier to become permeable during and after use, those who use cell phones a lot (or live or work near cell towers or spend time near smart meters) will have higher levels of mercury in their brain than the rest of the population. Will the skull protect the brain from the light emitted by mercury? Nor really, because a lot of light enters via the eyes, as well as though other pathways. These particular wavelengths that CFLs and LEDs emit, though they can be somewhat balanced by other colors, contain very discreet and narrow parts of the light spectrum. Sunlight, on the other hand, contains all wavelengths. Our body reacts to many different wavelengths, so having an uneven distribution of wavelengths is sure to have consequences, though they may vary greatly from person to person.
There is another effect of CFLs and LEDs -- they create a stronger electric field than incandescent bulbs. Therefore, when you use a CFL in your reading lamp, you are affecting brain chemistry in ways that nature does not. Is this significant? It is for some people. An increasing fraction of our population is becoming electrically sensitive. There are people who cannot stand to be around CLFs and LEDs. What can we do? Luckily, you can still buy some wattages as incandescent. This would be wise. The other option is to burn candles. Whatever you do, don't throw working incandescent light bulbs away. Someone will want them.
Best wishes in the New Year.