Of course, there are no studies in helping PTSD sufferers with herbs. Whoever heard of herbal teas in my neck of the woods? I never even knew there was such a thing, until I acquired my first teaching position. One of the teachers I worked with was well-acquainted with the process. Of course, I thought it was silly and a waste of time back then. Now, I know different.
I would gladly become acquainted with various teas and their miraculous medicinal qualities to help Daddy. Who wouldn’t? For anyone who has a relative suffering from PTSD, find out all you can. You’ll discover that perhaps something simple might provide the help needed.
Herbs are generally available as standardized dried extracts (pills, capsules, or tablets), teas, or tinctures/liquid extracts (alcohol extraction, unless otherwise noted). Mix liquid extracts with favorite beverage. Dose for teas I 1-2 heaping teaspoons/cup water steeped for 10 – 15 minutes (roots need longer)
The following herbal remedies may provide relief from symptoms:
- Kava Kava standardized extract, 100 -250 mg 1-3 times a day, as needed for symptoms of stress and anxiety. The FDA has issued a warning concerning kava kava’s effect on the liver. In rare cases, severe liver damage has been reported. So, do not use it for more than a few days.
- Green tea standardized extract, 250 – 500 mg daily, for antioxidant and immune effects. Use caffeine-free products. You may also prepare teas from the leaf of this herb.
- Rhodiola standardized extract, 100 – 600 mg daily, for antioxidant, antistress, and immune activity.
- Bacopa standardized extract, 50 – 100 mg 3 times a day, for symptoms of stress and anxiety.
- Holy basil standardized extract, 400 mg daily, for stress and adrenal health. One can also prepare teas from the root. Holy basil can have a blood thinning effect and may increase the effect of blood thinning medications, such as Warfarin and aspirin.
If interested in any of these herbs, be sure to check out the products available at http://www.iherb.com and be sure to use this coupon code, BER298, and save $5.00 or more at checkout as a first-time customer.
In tribute of our military: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1QYEdU_bYU
This original song, “Fearless Heroes,” was written during the Persian Gulf War. The song was recorded on stage at the National School of Military Music in Virginia Beach, Virginia.