Of course, there are no studies in treating PTSD sufferers’ nutritional deficiencies through supplementation. When Daddy was going through the process of receiving help through the Veteran’s Administration, they knew he and his family had very little food to eat. The medical notes I have in my possession clearly stated that he was malnourished. But, he only got a monthly supply of psychotropic drugs! He certainly could have used nutritional meals. In fact, the whole family could have! We were so thin we had to use a safety pin and/or a belt to keep our pants up. I used a safety pin for my underwear. How much did these drugs cost the government? Sorry, folks, a box of food from the Welfare Department does not add up to nutritional meals for a family!
One’s nutritional deficiencies can be addressed with the following supplements:
- Omega-3 fatty acids, such as fish oil, 1-2 capsules or 1-2 tablespoonfuls oil daily, to help improve immunity and protect nervous system transmission. (Personally, I take one softgel of cod liver oil from the maker, Norwegian Cod Liver Oil sold at http://www.iherb.com. Use this coupon code, BER298, and save $5.00 or more at checkout, as a first-time customer.)
- A multivitamin daily, containing the antioxidant vitamins A, C, D, E, and the B-vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium. (Personally, I take one multivitamin “Special One” tablet from the maker, NOW Foods sold at http://www.iherb.com. Use this coupon code, BER298, and save $5.00 or more at checkout, as a first-time customer.)
- Coenzyme Q10, 100 – 200 mg at bedtime, for antioxidant, immune, and muscular support.
- L-Theanine, 200 mg 1-3 times daily, for nervous support.
- L-glutamine, 500 – 1000 mg 3 times daily, for support gastrointestinal health and immunity.
- Melatonin, 1-6 mg before bed, for sleep and immune support. (Personally, I found that Triphala works for me in getting a good night’s sleep. Melatonin was not effective for me, but I have friends that take Melatonin regularly. I take two capsules of Triphala, an hour before bedtime with a glass of water. Of course, I purchase this product at http://www.iherb.com. I use the brand, NOW Foods. Use this coupon code, BER298, and save $5.00 or more at checkout, as a first-time customer.)
In tribute of our military: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1QYEdU_bYU
This original song, “Fearless Heroes,” was written during the Persian Gulf War. The song was recorded on stage at the National School of Military Music in Virginia Beach, Virginia.