1. Life
  2. Religion & Spirituality
  3. Secular

Immoral to criticize Draw Mohammad Day

Drawing courtesy of Photoshop

Religion has long cloaked itself with the social protection from criticism. If for example an atheist were to criticize Christianity and point out how ridiculous the beliefs that Christians hold are, we are demonized and called religious racists and religious bigots (as if that even makes sense).

In fairness to Christians, they don’t usually go around threatening critics with earthly violence (any more). Although there are still plenty of Christians who will “warn” critics about impending eternal torture in the next life. Muslims on the other hand have gotten a bit of a reputation (deserved or not) for “warning” critics not just of a torturous afterlife, but of a shortened actual life.

This is in large part why a number of atheists have decided to organize a “Draw Mohammad Day” on Thursday the 20th of May. Since some Muslims extremists claim that depictions of the Prophet Mohammad are blasphemous and that those who do depict his image should be killed or at the very least censored.

While I can sort of understand if Muslims restricted themselves from depicting their prophet (actually, no I really can’t), restricting others from depicting Mohammad is just too far. For the record, there are Muslims who don’t have a problem with other people depicting Mohammad and only see that rule as an “in house” rule only pertaining to other Muslims. However there is no doubt that a significant number of Muslims intend for that rule to pertain to everyone.

It is often argued by both Christians and Muslims that atheism is a religion too. This is of course absurd, but for one day I will actually accept that position. On May 20th and only on that day Atheism will be a religion. Since religion has the social immunity from criticism, I think that our holiday “Draw Mohammad Day” should be immune from criticism. It is our deeply held religious holiday that everyone should draw or otherwise depict Mohammad in any way one likes.

You can’t criticize us, this is our protected religion. If we are happy with the results, we will probably have a Blasphemous Jesus Day. Being a religion has it perks I guess. So atheists might as well borrow those perks every now and then.

If you enjoy this article, please consider sharing the link and subscribing to the Philly Atheist Examiner column using the "Subscribe" button above!

Related Articles

Muslim fundamentalist threaten South Park
South Park warns Muslim to back off!

On Faith Series:

On Faith: Sarah Palin’s feminism, faith, and abortion
On Faith: National day of prayer and masturbation
On Faith: Can religion handle sex?
On Faith: Is the media biased against the Catholic Church?
On Faith: Is the Pope above the law?
On Faith: What is heaven like?
On Faith: Disbelief in the pulpit
On Faith: Catholic Church’s attempt to blackmail Washington fails
On Faith: Is proselytizing overseas religious freedom or coercion?
On Faith: Should religion have a role be in U.S. foreign affairs?
On Faith: Should the president be a religious figure?
On Faith: Does God allow Haiti to suffer?
On Faith: Media biased against Christians?
On Faith: Free speech vs. God
On Faith: Religion’s Impact 2009
On Faith: Climate change a moral issue?
On Faith: Good News -- Oral Roberts is dead
On Faith: Just war or holy war in Afghanistan?
On Faith: A crèche in the White House?
On Faith: Swiss ban on Islamic minarets
On Faith: holidays or holy days?

Atheism 101 Articles:

Atheism 101: What is the difference between atheism and agnosticism?
Atheism 101: Is there moral grounding without God?
Atheism 101: What happens when we die?
Atheism 101: The Purpose of Life
Atheism 101: The Nature of Good and Evil
Atheism 101: The Problem of Evil
Atheism 101: Is the Bible the inspired word of God?
Atheism 101: The anti-intellectualism of religion
Atheism 101: Why has Christianity demonized nudity, sex and sexuality?
Atheism 101: How to respond to the lord, liar, lunatic argument?
Atheism 101: Does it take more faith to be an atheist?
Atheism 101: What came before the Universe?
Atheism 101: How to respond to the ex-atheist
Atheism 101: Refuting Presupposition Theology
Atheism 101: Refuting Dispensational Theology

Comments

• Anonymous. 4 years ago

How does one draw a pedaphile?

• Wonderful 4 years ago

I would love to see a wedding picture of the 54 year old marrying the 6 year old.

The bridegroom: "Sorry no pictures please".

• Nikki 4 years ago

Muslims don't depict their prophet because they fear doing so will lead to idolatry. Because once you have a picture, so they reason, you will begin worshipping the picture and not the thing it stands for. Fine. But I still cannot fathom why they think those pictures that are made are worth violence over, nor why they want to stop everyone from drawing Muhammad.

• JAck 4 years ago

I painted a Zombie Mohammad. Search ebay for ZOMBIE MOHAMMAD..... lol

• Hugh Kramer, LA Atheism Examiner 4 years ago

Hopefully, Draw Mohammad Day will act as a teachable moment. The right to freedom of speech is in the Constitution. The right not to be offended... isn't.

• here it is! 4 years ago

facebook.com/#!/pages/Everybody-Draw-Mohammad-Day-May-20th-2010/120352401315688

• Jack 4 years ago

Anything to tic off the muslims is fine,they want to tell us what to do...get lost!

• Jack 4 years ago

They get bent out of shape over a cartoon and are fine with wacking off peoples heads..I don't get.

• Karen, NJ 4 years ago

He who has no sin, cast the first stone. The weapons of our warfare are not worldly, but spiritual. Giving Honor to God

• Brian37 4 years ago

Christian/Muslim/Jew, whatever. When someone says, "Don't pick on my god" I get the image of a midget standing spread eagle in front of the Terminator shouting, "Don't hit my all powerful god, you might hurt him".

And what does this say about this claimed being that it's top priority isn't practical things like disease, pollution, crime and war, but being picked on? Sounds more like an insecure brat.

• Brian37 4 years ago

When those in the west point to the fascism of Islamic states rightfully, Christians in the east fail to see that the only thing preventing a backslide into the same tribal behavior is the concept of keeping religion and government separate.

Islam if it wants to live in a global community has to have it's own Age Of Enlightenment. They need their own Thomas Paine and Thomas Jefferson.

• Unfaithful 4 years ago

Here here. Each religion is just as ridiculous as the next. It's time to be more active in helping others see that.

• The Voice of Reason 4 years ago

Draw Muhammad Day is a reckless idea created and endorsed by people who fail to understand the consequences of their actions. The beliefs of Muslim extremists disgust me as much as anyone else. I agree 100% it is unfair to have to be forced to censor ourselves in a country founded on free speech. But as a society we fail to differentiate between what is fair and what is real. As unfair as it may be, this campaign provokes our enemies to commit acts of violence and gives legitimacy to propaganda that our war is with Islam and not merely with terrorists. After 9/11 everyone wanted to know, "What could we have done to prevent this?" Whether an attack at home or against soldiers in the Midde East, Americans are going to die because of this and when you ask what we could have done to prevent this, I hope you remember that Muhammad picture you happily drew. Learn to take responsibility for your actions before dragging your fellow Americans further down the path of war.

• Qasim - Chicago Islam Examiner 4 years ago

It's despicable that some Muslims choose to respond with violence to such childish insults as this drawing campaign. Such people are a disgrace to mankind in general.

• BibleALSOSays 4 years ago

Brilliant! Bravo!

• Jack 4 years ago

I'd say it's more laughable that certain Islamic followers seem to think their religious rules apply to people who do not follow their own religion. Of course, this can be said of certain Christians as well.

Giving in to the intimidation will not help anything in the long term. Defying the intimidation is the only way to water down and/or eliminate irrational sensitivities.

• WriterWriter 4 years ago

GREAT piece of work. Love the observations in the last couple paragraphs. GOOD POINTS.

100%

• The Voice of Reason 4 years ago

• Jack 4 years ago

Voice of Reason:

Posting the same thing multiple times does not render your argument more valid.

• The Voice of Reason 4 years ago

To Jack:

• The Voice of Reason 4 years ago

Also for Jack:

• Jack 4 years ago

Wow. You must be all of what? 12? Too bad your argument is terribly unsound.

• Gnostic Guy 4 years ago

Yesterday, while sittting in a hazmat traffic cluster you know what, I was flipping radio channels for info, and on my FM dial in the high 90's was a protestant saying the most vulgar things about catholics and catholicism, and I couldn't help wonder, "Why are catholics worried about atheist? These christian folks are dangerous".

Oh, well. Nothing like misplaced outrage.

As for Mohammed day, its hard to draw a fictional character, but giving him the benefit of doubt posted a holy sacrement, the blue mushroom cap. I did it out of respect to a fictional prophet who probably doesn't deserve it.

• Brian37 4 years ago

QUOTE:"Draw Muhammad Day is a reckless idea created and endorsed by people who fail to understand the consequences of their actions."

Right, because ridicule is always a bad idea when putting a mirror to hate.

I guess you'd call Jefferson reckless too.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus."
    Thomas Jefferson, letter to Francis Adrian Van der Kemp July 30, 1816,

Is that reckless? Should Christians be given license to be violent because of what Jefferson said? Would he deserve to be harmed for saying that?

"Reckless" to me is self centered selfishness acting out in violence because you got offended. Stalin had a taboo about blaspheming the state. Muslims have taboos blaspheming a god. No difference to me.

• Brian37 4 years ago

QUOTE:"It's laughable that a 'civilized society' needs to find ways to insult for no other reason than to insult, as a proof and demonstration of their 'power' of free speech."

It is sad that people insist on solving differences by setting up taboos and then get violent when someone breaks that taboo. Part of being civilized is knowing that it is impossible to force people to always only say nice things about you.

You think I don't know as an atheist what people say about atheists? I've heard the worst. I don't demand someone never say it, I simply respond to it WITHOUT violence.

If I can handle being equated to Hitler and being called immoral without demanding censorship I find anyone who has a thin skin a danger to everyone's freedom, including those who don't like me.

NO ONE deserves a pedestal, not you, not me, not the Pope, not Dawkins. We do owe it to each other as humans to accept that neither of us want to be harmed. But we also have the same desire to speak without

• The Voice of Reason 4 years ago

Also for Jack:

• Brian37 4 years ago

You would live with censorship if it meant safety? What if those in power only have their idea of safety and censorship in mind?
    And out of sheer luck I bet you are just the person to decide who gets to say what and when to who.

I am glad you had no hand in writing our Constitution. People both on the left and right think short term and only want censorship when it favors them but then fail to realize that power shifts always happen in government and that they might not be the ones in power deciding what can or cannot be said.

Please for the love of freedom, never become a Constitutional lawyer.

• Ash Bowie 4 years ago

Well said, Staks. My own rendition of Mohammad is on my site, sacredriver.org.

• Steve 4 years ago

As a catholic, I assure you there is no shortage of criticism of the church and Christianity in general. I have a few criticisms myself and could easily be criticized in turn. Some criticisms are thoughtful, most are vicious and ignorant like your column and like the comments of many of your fans.

• Ryan 4 years ago

As a Catholic, I implore you to do the Jesus day. It made me recall an image of him ascending, but the Ghostbusters were holding him in place with the proton beams. :]

I guess it's just strange that no one bats an eye when a joke is made at the expense of Judaism or Christianity (in addition to many other religions or beliefs) but when Islam comes up people start freaking out.

Everyone just needs to chill out.

• Stand Tall 4 years ago

America is the Land of the Free Speech. Those who chose to exercise that right today protected the rights and freedoms of everyone. Trying to mitigate that is just smoke and mirrors.

• Poppy 4 years ago

Can't find any drawings of Mo on Facebook so I guess free speech lost out. Funny how stupid cartoons offend them but murder of innocent people, beheadings, torture, etc. doesn't.

• bob 4 years ago

I see bob is going w/ "the short skirted women deserve to be raped" form of logic.

what a glorious day for free speech haters like him.

• bob 4 years ago

what a glorious day for free speech haters like him.

• nick 4 years ago

@ The Voice of Reason

Oh well gosh! I guess we should just get in line and start voting Sharia law in right now.

You are sorely deluded if you think that extremists act because of what everyone "Does to them". At most it would be their excuse for violence.

Have fun living in fear.

• gklr from youtube 4 years ago

The voice of reason:

I pity how you reason. Generally the only people who die in cases where someone drew Mohommed are those in Pakistan protesting the drawings. No american has yet died that I am aware. I am canadian and none of us have died for drawing Mohommed. One guy I know simulated anal sex with Mohommed on youtube and he had 20000 subscribers too, so it wasn't unseen. He lives quite well and so too do all his followers.

Join the free world.

• the truth comes out 4 years ago

They are crying foul to see what, if any, influence they can muster. If people are stupid enough to kowtow to them, they will demand more. Its a game- although one where people die- just like Theo Van Gogh.

• righteousrat 4 years ago

This is annoying. Clearly, you have no idea what "Draw Muhammad Day" is about. As far as it being created by Atheists, I don't know if that's true, but that's neither here nor there. It's not a day for egotistical, self-righteous pricks such as yourself to openly bash on another religion just 'cause you can. It's about stepping up against threats of terrorism, and showing Muslim extremists that we aren't afraid and they cannot stop us. Do you even know what spawned this in the first place?

And the whole "Atheism being a religion for this one day" nonsense is just ridiculous. You're like a child.

Life

• Barbra Streisand.
    These 15 musicians might surprise you in their support of the use of marijuana
    Today's Buzz
  • Educational family vacations
    Find out how to take an educational family vacation that doesn't break the bank
    Camera
    9 Photos
  • Bardstown, Kentucky
    There’s just so much to do in Bardstown, Kentucky, you might not want to leave
    Camera
    10 Photos
  • Black Pug Pottery
    Black Pug Pottery has handcrafted pottery for you and your pets
    Camera
    9 Photos
  • Colleges make major change
    Five colleges make major changes in test policies for 2014-15
    Camera
    20 Photos
  • Outdoor activities
    Enjoy some of these activities with your significant other and make new memories
    Camera