A Macon County, IL, witness reported watching a "bright object descending into the woods" just outside her home in Decatur about 6:07 p.m. on January 11, 2013, according to testimony from the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) witness reporting database.
The woman had just stepped outside and was watching cloud coverage moving in from the southwest when a bright object was noticed coming from the same direction.
"I stood and watched it slowly coming my way," the witness stated. "It was a glowing white light and every now and again it would flash. It would hover in one spot for a little bit and then move a little bit and flash."
The object continued to move closer.
"I would say it was about three blocks away when it started to descend. As it got lower, the tops of the trees lit up, and then it just kept coming down into the trees. I could see the light coming from behind the trunks of the trees as it was coming down lower and lower."
The woman ran inside to alert her husband, but he was in the shower, so she stepped back outside.
"Right at that point it was coming up out of the woods. It cleared the trees and went off into the direction in which it came - southwest."
No images or videos were included with the MUFON report, which was filed on January 12, 2013. The above quotes were edited for clarity. Decatur is the largest city and the county seat of Macon County, IL, population 76,122.
Recently covered Illinois UFO cases include:
- Silent V-shaped UFO moves over busy Illinois town
- Pyramid-shaped UFO over Illinois was 'bigger than a two-story house'
- Illinois disc UFO described as 'blue, laser-like ring'
- Diamond-shaped object reported hovering low over Illinois town
- Cigar UFO 'with no sound' reported hovering low over Illinois town
- Illinois driver follows low hovering lights near Urbana
- Cigar UFO reported hovering over Indiana town just 'disappeared'
- Oval UFO surprises Illinois witness at 50 feet off ground
- New witness surfaces in Illinois UFO case from January 2000
- Illinois siblings share second UFO sighting of disc-shaped object
- Illinois witnesses report '3-foot bubble' UFO over Knox County
- 'Three silent objects' with blue-white lights watched by Illinois witness
- '30-foot disc' UFO follows Illinois couple in Will County
- Video: Disc UFO caught on camera over Illinois
Illinois is a current UFO ALERT 5 rating, with a low number of UFO sightings nationally. Illinois had 6 reports in December 2012 - the 25th highest reporting state while California had 75 reports - the highest reporting state in the nation.
You can read more details about other recently reported cases at the UFO Examiner home page.
The following is the unedited report filed with MUFON. Please keep in mind that most UFO reports can be explained as something natural or manmade. If Illinois MUFON State Director Sam Maranto investigates and reports back on this case, I will release an update. Please report UFO activity to MUFON.com.
January 11, 2013, 6:07 p.m., Decatur, Macon County, IL - Brite object decending into woods. Case 45156.
Stepped outside, the sky was clear but could see some clouds getting ready to come in from the SW in the distance, noticed a bright object coming from the same direction, stood and watched it slowly coming my way, it was glowing white light and every now and again it would flash, it would hover in one spot for a little bit then move a little bit and flash. I would say it was about 3 blocks away when it started to decend, as it got lower the tops of the trees lite up, then it just kept coming down into the trees, I could see the light coming from behind the trunks of the trees as it was coming down lower and lower, I ran inside to tell my husband what was happening, he was showering, so I went back outside to watch to see what it was doing, right at that point it was coming up out of the woods,cleared the trees and went off into the direction in which it came (SW). Husband came out of the shower and I told him what I saw, he asked why I didnt go back in the woods, duh!, for one thing its somebodies property, another, its dark, coyotes, and the what if factor and me being by myself.