On July 9, 2013, the Firearm Concealed Carry Act became state law, which requires an Illinois Concealed Carry License in order to carry a concealed firearm in Illinois, excluding current and retired police officers, who are covered under the Illinois Retired Officer Concealed Carry (IROCC) Program.
Today, the Illinois State Police (ISP) Officials announced that on September 30, 2013 the Department will post the certified concealed carry firearms training curricula list on their website. The registry only includes approved instructors who have meet all of the statutory requirements.
Instructors applying for approval and wish to avoid unnecessary delay should double proofread their application and make sure all questions are answered fully. Once approved, instructors will receive a packet containing instructions further explaining the curricula training process. A unique identification number will be issued to each instructor and for each approved curriculum. A Certificate of Completion form that the instructors will issue to class attendees upon successful completion of training will also be included in the packet.
The Illinois State Police will make Concealed Carry License applications available to the public by January 5, 2014. The list of approved training will include those recognized by the laws of other states. Interested public who wish a concealed carry license must successfully complete approved training from an approved Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor.
To obtain a Concealed Carry License, one is required to complete a 16-hour firearms training course that include range qualification time and shall cover the following:
- Firearms Safety Instruction - a minimum of two (2) classroom hours;
- Basic Principles of Marksmanship Instruction - a minimum of three (3) classroom and range hours;
- Care, Cleaning , Loading and Unloading of a Concealable Firearm Instruction- a minimum of three (3) classroom hours;
- All applicable State and Federal Laws Relating to the Ownership, Storage, Carry and Transportation of a Firearm Instruction- a minimum of four (4) classroom hours; and
- Weapons Handling - a minimum of four (4) range hours
- All applicants must pass a live fire exercise with a concealable firearm consisting of:
- A minimum of 30 rounds
- 10 rounds from a distance of 5 yards, 10 rounds from a distance of 7 yards, and 10 rounds from a distance of 10 yards at a B-27 silhouette target approved by the ISP.