This annual event was created by Ruth and Thomas Roy of Wellcat. Because pets depend on humans for food, Roy wondered what life would be like if their cats and dogs could actually open their own food, open doors or refrigerators on their own? Thomas Roy came up with the wacky idea years ago, and the rest, as they say, is holiday history.
While traditional holidays typically celebrate an important person, historical event, fabulous food, refreshing beverage or a must-have product, today's holiday "begs" the question - what would our favorite four-legged friends do with opposable thumbs?
- Although hitchhiking isn't recommended, your pet could finally hitchhike if he or she got lost.
- He or she could open their favorite canned pet food with a can-opener.
- They could finally brush their own fur.
- Besides grabbing a refreshing drink from the fridge for their pet parents, dogs and cats could pop open the tab or twist off that twist-top!
- Be sure to watch Jimmy, the Amazing Polydactyl Cat, on the left side of this article.
Here's betting most pooches and felines across the land would give a great big thumbs up and a high five to this pet-friendly "howliday." And speaking of special days, March 3 is also National Anthem Day and National Cold Cuts Day.