July is National Ice Cream Month, so beginning July 4th and continuing every weekend in July, Lake Metroparks Farmpark will host Ice Cream Weekends from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. In 1984, President Ronald Reagan designated July as National Ice Cream Month, and the third Sunday of the month as National Ice Cream Day. This year, National Ice Cream Day will take place on Sunday, July 20.
Visitors at Ice Cream Weekend can make their own ice cream and meet the cows that produce the milk and cream needed for the sweet snack. Kids can learn how ice cream comes from cow to cone in the Factory of Frozen Fun.
There will be endless hands-on activities for the entire family to enjoy! Activities will include:
- Hand milk a cow and learn how they separate the cream from the milk.
- Help make homemade ice cream the old fashioned way with a hand cranked machine!
- Plant your favorite ice cream flavor seeds in the farmer’s field
- Explore a giant cream separator
- Discover different types of sugar available
- Play games in the milking station and play dairy-related games and learn which ingredients are used to make ice cream
- Go to the Flavor Station to add your favorite flavors
- Mix the ingredients together at the Mixing Station
- Release the mixed ingredients into ice cream containers
- Keep the ice cream from melting in a temperature controlled freezer
- Gather ice cream containers and load them into the ice cream truck
Pony rides will also be available for $4. Admission to Ice Cream Weekend is $4 for kids ages 2 to 11, $6 ages 12 to 59 and $5 for ages 60 and older. Lake Metroparks Farmpark is located at 8800 Euclid Chardon Road in Kirtland. For more information, call 440.256.2122 or visit lakemetroparks.com