As a kid, ice cream always seemed to make things better. Whether our feelings were bruised up or our knees were a little scraped up, our parents or grandparents would trot out the offer of ice cream to make it all better. Some things can’t be fixed with the frozen treat however, such as a 7-year-old’s broken arm.
A Detroit school is under fire this week from mom Shatia Hill, whose daughter, Brianna, broke her arm while on the playground at Webber Media Arts Academy in Pontiac, reports MSN Now on Sept. 23.
“I was trying to jump to the bar on the monkey bars but I slipped and fell and broke my arm,” Brianna said.
The school, which for some reason had no ice or ice packs available, got out some frozen ice cream sandwiches and put them on Brianna’s sore arm. The school then proceeded to call up those on Brianna's emergency contact list.
Unless there is a life-threatening urgent situation, most schools will report incidents to those on the emergency contact list first. When the accident happened, it wasn’t even clear that Brianna had broken her arm.
Shatia sees it differently.
“They should have immediately called 911. What if she was going into shock? What if she could have had a concussion? Brain damage could have been done and they're just sitting there, calling people on the phone,” the upset mother said.
As far as the ice cream sandwich treatment? Shatia says it was “unacceptable.”
“I have no idea why they thought that was acceptable,” Shatia said. “I mean, honestly, it was totally bad judgment on everybody in the school. When I call the school, they're like, ‘Oh I wasn't there.’ Everyone wants to throw each other under the bus instead of taking responsibility.”
The school was not able to immediately reach Shatia, instead getting a hold of an aunt, who picked Brianna up and took her to the hospital where it was determined she had broken her arm.
Shatia is so upset she says she’s now looking for a new school to enroll Brianna in. The school has not commented on the incident.
What do you think of the school’s actions? Is this mom over-reacting? Leave your thoughts below.