On August 14, 2013, the FDA released a statement announcing a voluntary recall of Iams cat food due to a salmonella contamination risk. The recall involves only dry cat food. At this time, canned cat food is considered safe. Iams is manufactured by Proctor and Gamble.
The following Iams dry cat foods are under recall:
- Iams Cat Food Healthy Naturals Chicken, adult formula in five and 16 lb. bags.
- Iams Cat Food Healthy Naturals Weight Control, adult formula in five pound bags.
- Iams Cat Food ProActive Health Chicken, adult formula in 3.2, 5.7, 6.3, 10.8, and 17.4 lb. bags.
- Iams Cat Food ProActive Health Chicken, kitten formula in 3.2, 5.7, and 17.4 lb. bags.
- Iams Cat Food ProActive Health Digestive Care, adult formula in three, five, and 16 lb. bags.
- Iams Cat Food ProActive Health Hairball, adult formula in 3.1, five, 9.8, and 16 lb. bags.
- Iams Cat Food ProActive Health Hairball, mature adult formula in five pound bags.
- Iams Cat Food ProActive Health Weight Control and Hairball, adult formula in 2.9, five, 5.5, 9.8, and 16 lb. bags.
- Iams Cat Food ProActive Health Weight Control, adult formula in five, 9.8, and 16 lb. bags.
- Iams Cat Food Professional Feeding Bag Chicken, adult formula in 33 lb. bags.
If you have a recalled product, stop using the food immediately and make sure that you remove any recalled food remaining in your cat’s food dish. Observe your cat to make sure that he or she does not develop loose stools or diarrhea, vomiting, or signs of digestive track distress. If you notice any symptoms or your cat looks sluggish and things do not seem right, talk to your vet immediately.
Visit Iams.com for more information about specific cat food recalls. The recalled food is mostly located along the East Coast of the United States that extends west to Louisiana. If you have a recalled product, stop using the food immediately. Clip and save the code date and the UPC code from the bag and mail it along with your full name and mailing address to Iams. You will receive a voucher for a replacement bag. If you have multiple bags, a cash register receipt is required. For questions contact Iams by phone at 1-800-208-0172. Allow four to six weeks for your voucher to arrive.
Mail your items to:
8700 Mason-Montgomery Rd.
Mason, OH 45040
Lynda Altman loves animals and is “mom” to three rescued dogs; Izzy, Sophie, and Romeo. She is very concerned about pet health issues. Prior to the birth of her 4th child, Lynda owned an exotic pet business. Get notices when this page is updated by clicking on the subscribe link, by email, or contact Lynda @fusgeyer on Twitter.