On August 14, 2013, the FDA released a statement announcing a voluntary recall of Iams and dry dog food due to a salmonella contamination risk. The recall involves only dry dog foods. At this time, canned dog food is deemed safe. Iams is manufactured by Proctor and Gamble.
The following Iams dry dog foods are under recall:
- Iams Dog Food Healthy Naturals Chicken, adult formula in 2.9, five, 13.3, and 25.7 lb. bags.
- Iams Dog Food Healthy Naturals Weight Control, adult formula in 13.3 lb. bags.
- Iams Dog Food Premium Protection Chicken, adult formula in 12.1 lb. bags.
- Iams Dog Food ProActive Health, large breed adult formula in 30 lb. bags.
- Iams Dog Food ProActive Health, large breed senior plus formula in 13.3 and 26.2 lb. bags.
- Iams Dog Food ProActive Health, large chunks adult formula in 15 lb. bags.
- Iams Dog Food ProActive Health, small breed adult in 3.1, five, and 13.3 lb. bags.
- Iams Dog Food ProActive Health, small breed puppy in five pound bags.
- Iams Dog Food Premium Performance, 30/20 adult, 33 lb. bags.
- Iams Dog Food Professional Feeding Bag, small breed puppy, 44 lb. bags.
- Iams Dog Food Weight Control, large breed adult, 30 lb. bags.
If you have a recalled product, stop using the food immediately and make sure that you remove any recalled food remaining in your dog’s food dish. Observe your pet to make sure that they do not develop loose stools or diarrhea, vomiting, or signs of digestive track distress. If you notice symptoms, your pet looks lethargic, or things do not seem right; talk to your vet immediately.
Visit Iams.com for more information about specific dog food recalls. The recalled food is mostly located along the East Coast of the United States that extends west to Louisiana. If you have a recalled product, stop using the food immediately. Clip and save the code date and the UPC code from the bag and mail it along with your full name and mailing address to Iams. You will receive a voucher for a replacement bag. If you have multiple bags, a cash register receipt is required. For questions contact Iams by phone at 1-800-208-0172. Allow four to six weeks for your voucher to arrive.
Mail your items to:
8700 Mason-Montgomery Rd.
Mason, OH 45040
Lynda Altman loves animals and is “mom” to three rescued dogs; Izzy, Sophie, and Romeo. She is very concerned about pet health issues. Prior to the birth of her 4th child, Lynda owned an exotic pet business. Get notices when this page is updated by clicking on the subscribe link, by email, or contact Lynda @fusgeyer on Twitter.