I believe in Santa Claus

Santa Claus is a symbol of love and hope.
Santa Claus is a symbol of love and hope.
Merry Christmas

It seems that every year the children who stop believing in Santa Claus are getting younger. Why do parents feel as though this is a good thing? Why is it  looked upon as acceptable to take away the glimmer of hope, and love of magic, from our youth? The feeling that anything is possible is a boundless one, and a gift we should want for every young soul.

True, Santa Claus is not the reason for the holiday. He is a commercial twist to the celebration. However, if you look back into history, Santa Claus is a symbol of hope and love. So why do so many adults feel as though it is a bad thing to believe in hope and love? Why would they want to take this innocence of childhood away from our future. Isn't there enough "real world" in our lives? It isn't as though the adults who take this believing from their children, aren't into the commercialism of the holiday. It isn't as though they have a strong religious "Only" view of the season.

It is a sad day when a child comes home from school to tell their mom that, "So-n-so doesn't believe in Santa, and said I am a baby because I do." This cynicism comes from adults, and is mimicked by our youth. Not because they don't want to believe, because the hope for believing was taken from them.

Santa Claus visits those who believe in ways that are least expected. He sometimes visits through the love of a stranger, donating to those in need. Sometimes it is just his spirit that visits the heart of the believer, leaving that individual with HOPE. Hope for something better, courage to be strong, love for their neighbors, and Faith for the future.

What greater gift to give our youth than to let them hear you say, "I believe in Santa Claus." What you are really telling them is, "I believe in Hope, Magic, Faith, and Love. I believe in endless possibilities for your future."  This year give that gift to your little ones. What is the acceptable age to continue this believing, you ask? Anyone who lets the spirit of youth live in their hearts. Youth can be alive in someone who is 100. Why become a hard hearted realist too soon?

Comments

• M 5 years ago

It is not a bad thing to believe in Hope or love but it is not a good thing to believe in a lie. Santa Claus was not a symbol of love it is a symbol of commercialism. Saint Nicholas, the real person, was a symbol of hope and love. Why not teach children about the real hope and real love and the real meanings to this wonderful holiday?

• Jennifer 5 years ago

Santa Claus goes by several names in several different countries. He is a symbol of hope and love, by any name. He is not a lie by any means...nor is believing in him or celebrating his form from any country or lore a lie to children or anyone else. A hard hearted soul sees it as a lie....a hard hearted soul views only the commercialism of his spirit. It depends on how you raise your children by what they believe. Mine believe in the goodness of the spirit and the season.

• Jennifer 5 years ago

My children also know that the reason for our celebration is the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ. They know that the love for our traditions come from Our Fathers Sons birth and the meaning of his sacrifices for our souls. He never wanted any of us to feel such hatred for anyone and their beliefs. He wants us all to see the good in the world and to give bakc that hope and love to others. Merry Christmas M and to everyone else! Hope you can findthe love and yourh in your heart this season!

• Jennifer 5 years ago

What are Santa's Names Around the World?
    England - Father Christmas
    Estonia - Jouluvana
    Finland - Joulupukki (Old Man Christmas)
    France - Pere Noel
    Germany - Weihnachtsmann (Christmas Man), Nikolaus
    Hawaii Kanakaloka
    Hungary Mikulas (St. Nicholas)
    Netherland - Kerstman
    Iceland - Jolasveinn
    Italy - Babbo Natale
    Japan - Santa Kurousu, Hoteiosho (a god or priest who bears gifts)
    Lithuania - Kaledu Senu
    Mexico - San Nicolás, Santa
    Norway - Julenissen (Christmas gnome)
    Poland -Swiety Mikolaj (St. Nicholas)
    Russia -Ded Moroz (Grandfather Frost)
    Serbo-Croation - Bozic Bata. Sveti Nickola
    Spain - Papa Noel
    Sweden - Jultomten (Christmas brownie)
    Switzerland - Saint Nicholas, Chriskind

• Jennifer 5 years ago

One last comment....the spirit of Santa Claus lives in everyone willing to share the love....how is that a lie? To say I Believe in Santa Claus.....I believe in the hope and love of this season...I believe that mankind ha a softer more carring heart during the Season in which we celebrate the birth of our Saviour..... God Bless you all!

• Angie 5 years ago

Christmas is so much funner when you have kids who believe in Santa. And this is encouraged also through the comercialisim. But I also believe that your child being taught about Christ and his birth is the responisibility of the parents. That part of CHRISTmas certainly is being taken out of our country and not just around the holiday season! M-I guess I've been misled, I thought St. Nich and Santa were the same person. And I am sorry, you consider this as having your child "believe in a lie". The spirit of st nich, santa or whatever you want to call him is being taught in our home as a way to teach our children to be less selfish, gracious, think of others and to appreciate what you have. One thing we've started doing that I did when I was young, is being "secret elves" to two families. I know that is as what my CHRIST has taught us, so I'd say that although Santa comes to our house on the evening of the 24th, we are still teaching our child the true meanings of Christmas

• M 5 years ago

Like I said in the first line of my comment, "It is not a bad thing to believe in Hope or love". Christmas is not a lie, nor is the love and joy that the wonderful holiday brings. The lie is saying that a fat man brings presents down the chimney. Children don't understand why "Santa" brought them a doll and brought their friend an x-box or ps3. It has nothing to do with Santa and everything to do with how much money mom and dad have. Why is it bad to celebrate the life of Saint Nicholas? Why is it bad to celebrate the love, joy, hope, faith and grace that Jesus' birth brought us. To say that I have a hard heart because I don't tell my kids that Santa brings all their gifts is crazy. To quote history wrongly is also crazy. The celebration of "Santa" or Saint Nick or what ever name you choose to use was on December 6th to honor the death of Saint Nicholas. When the commercial power of "Santa" hit in the 1800's is when Santa and December 25th merged.

• M 5 years ago

I think it is great that Angie is a secret elf. Giving is what Jesus would want us to do, but I think if you say "Santa brought it" it should be a "wink wink" kind of thing and not a child believing down to the depths of their soul that "Santa" will come down the chimney. I know many people who were devastated when they found out that Santa was not real. Santa is real - he died in the early 400's and we as parents carry on the gift giving in honor of him and of Jesus. Why is that wrong to tell our kids that? You said my heart was hard and I had no hope but I even finished my original comment asking "why not teach children about the real hope and real love..." I am sorry if you felt attacked but I could not look my children in the eyes and say that a jolly fat man was bringing their gifts to them - I just don't know how to lie that well. Instead I fill their hearts and lives with hope and joy and peace. That is what works for me!

• Susie 5 years ago

M- Thanks for standing up for truth! Jennifer seems so defensive and determined to accuse you of being hard. I am going to look up the real history of Santa and share it with my kids!!

• Sara 5 years ago

You are assuming that children who don't believe lack hope. My children have hope and believe that the world is a wonderful place where life is grand and anything can happen and I didn't have to lie to them. They won't experience the disapointment of learning of the lie. They have the security that I nor their father have built up a lie and told it to them for years. Children who were never td the lie of Santa still love Christmas. They enjoy the day just as much as other kids but without the eventual disapointment of learning the lie.

• Doug 5 years ago

Chill - It certainly takes a lot of different beliefs to make the world go around. Remember that around the world people believe or at least celebrate and have traditions that others will find strange. I think M should be more tolerant and let others have their beliefs. It is radical positions like this that stopped prayer in public places, and took the ten commandments from in front of the court houses all over the country. I say "Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Night!" Oh ya - Santa I have been really/really good this year.

• Jane 5 years ago

I really pity M, Sara, and Susie and I truly pity their children! There is so little magic left in this world for the kids. Father Christmas is part of the magic. When parents take the magic away from their children they are simply telling themselves a lie. They are deluded into thinking that forcing their children to grow up too soon is good for them. Pitiful! Jennifer is not being defensive here. She is trying to educated the obviously uneducated. We all have our own beliefs. You ladies don't agree with Jennifer and that is fine but you haven't the right to tear her beliefs apart because they go against yours. Jesus does not approve of this kind of self-righteousness. So, take a chill pill, celebrate the season however you wish, and try to smile occasionally. It might improve your outlook on the world. Oh, Ms. Locascio, your children are very lucky to have the opportunity to have such a love for Christmas and its many forms. Santa, I was a good girl this year too. God bless you all!

• Doug 5 years ago

OH ya - Susie/Sara - which real story are you going to look up? Around the world there are as many stories about Santa as there are locations. As a retired Middle School Principal of many years (children ages 11 - 14), I will tell you that I never met a child that was disappointed by finding out "the truth" or as you put it "the lie" about Santa and Christmas. I will go one step further and tell you that in my career that one of the sadist things I saw was the faces of children not allowed to share the magic. I wish you and your families the best of the season and the love it represents.

• Julia Tidd (FW Christian Living) 5 years ago

If anyone is interested, I Am Second has Santa Claus' history at this address. iamsecond (dot)com/santa/ It explains how he was a devoted Christian.
    The bottom explains that it is an excerpt from this site: stnicholascenter (dot)org/
    It is somewhere to start.
    I wish you all a Merry Christmas.

• Heather 5 years ago

M, Sara, and Susie. Its very sad that you feel the way you do, but I believe you should refrain from being such jerks to a woman that simply posted an article stating her beliefs and attempting to explain to you why and how she believes that way. Why attack her? Its sad really. Jennifer: I enjoy reading all your articles, keep it up and dont let people like M, Sara and Susie frazzle you, they are just angry people who dont enjoy smiling. Merry CHRISTmas!!!!!!!

• Jennifer 5 years ago

Thank you so much for your support and continued reading! Merry Christmas!

• M 5 years ago

I really wish u would read what I actually comment on. I never said anyone didnt have the right to believe in Santa. Like I said, the way I teach my children is what "works for me". None of you know me (even if you think you know who I am-you are wrong-although thank you for pointing me toward the McKinney examiner-I will definitely start reading her column) nor do you know my children. Saying they do not believe or have magic or hope is truly wrong. My kids love Santa & snowmen & all that Christmas brings. They just don't believe that Santa comes down the chimney to bring gifts. My husband speaks about how devastated he was when he found out from friends that Santa was not real. He was so mad his mom had lied to him. That was his experience. If it is not yours or your children that is great for you & that is what works for you. I have also told my kids they can't spoil it for other kids & they don't. My kids love knowing that their parents & Jesus provide the magic & love.

• Jennifer 5 years ago

this is the last I will say, I can't believe this is what it is. I wish you the BEST of luck with your articles, Sincerely, they are great. I don't know you, I never said that I did, or your children. I am certainyou are doing what works for you, I apologize if my beliefs somehow...brought out such strong feelings. Not until after I wrote did I realize you had written an article on the opposite. I truly didn't know. My article was in no way a jab at you. God Bless you and I wish you a Merry Christmas.

• Sara 5 years ago

If you tell your child that someone stranger will leave gifts under the tree (ie Santa) you are lieing. You can tell your child about hope and endear them with joy without lying. Your lie will damage them. Cause your child to mistrust you.

• Jennifer 5 years ago

Thanks for your opinion, however over the top and mistrusting of an individual you are making yourself appear. Good luck and Merry Christmas. Remember that people are able to express personal opinions but no one can actually tell someone else what to do or believe.......

• Sara 5 years ago

• Jane 5 years ago

Jennifer, No matter what you say or do there are people in this world who wear blinders and do not respect the opinions and beliefs of others. It's quite sad, really. I hope you and your family have a blessed Christmas. Ignore those of mean spirit and let the love of the Lord shine through. As far as lies -- get a grip Sara. Love your children, believe what you believe, and back off. Don't take the love out of the holiday. God bless you all!

• Barman 5 years ago

I nearly decided to quit growing teeth when I discovered the lie of the Tooth Fairy. Sheesh - to this day I get all worked up knowing there are so many little fragile young minds that are being fed the devastating mis-truths about the evil breaking and entering that happens when a child loses a tooth. As a parent of 12 kids, I can honestly say I scarred everyone of them with my continuing the tragic lie.

Good grief Freak Fest - get a grip. I still believe in Santa and have yet to see any ill effects from my belief and my hopes of the magic that the season brings. I am grateful for Jesus in my life. My prayer is that 8 tiny reindeer poop down your chimney and that Santa leaves you a lump of coal.

• Susie 5 years ago

I love how some of you say that some of us should respect your opinion but none of you are respecting our opinion to not tell our children a lie. I you look at your child and say "Santa is coming" then you are lying to your kids. Can't you believe in Santa and not lie? I think this is the ultimate question here. Making nasty comments about my and M's and Sara's families is just so childish. Barman admits to being upset when he discover that the tooth fairy was not real - this is the point here! We can only respect your opinions if you respect ours!

• Lori 5 years ago

Sheesh, Jennifer. A well written article to start such a debate...that is when you know it was good. When you can start heated conversations means you struck a nerve. Well done. I admire you and love reading your opinion on things. And I for one look forward to your next article. Thanks for keeping it real.

• John 5 years ago

I am all for a good debate and some of the comments on either side are good and valuable but some are just mean attacks toward the people who are against telling their kids about Santa. I do the Santa thing out of tradition but I really believe some of these ladies have a point. Stop attacking. Jennifer, I for one thin k less of you for permitting this to occur on an article. Mean nerves should not be struck here.

• M 5 years ago

Wow people! I (and I don't think some of the others) have every said not to do Santa. I think the opinion of many of us is not to say that Santa brought all your presents and if a kid does not get any it is because they were bad. In this economic time when dad looses his job and can't buy presents should that be what a child is told? Talk about Santa - we do! The lie is when you say that Santa brings the gifts - comes down the chimney, etc. Santa should be the symbol of Christmas. Why not teach our children to be a Santa to someone - to give love and hope and gifts??? I see so many kids who aren't getting as many gifts because of the economy and they think it is because they are bad. These are good kids - why not celebrate that.

• Jane 5 years ago

Does Sara, Susie, and M realize this is not a blog? You are upset because many do not agree with your opinion. Why did you leave it in the first place? Go enjoy your Christmas however it is that you choose to believe, not believe, or just not care. Get over yourselves and move forward. Merry Christmas and Happy Kwanzaa!

• Jane 5 years ago

Oops -- I needed to add John's name in with the young ladies. Sorry for the omission.

• Tammy 5 years ago

I really think this is sad all the attacks on Sara, Susie, M and now John. I really wish people would stop being so nasty towards them. It is great this article struck a nerve but the meanness some ladies are dishing out is not nice. I hoe you all have a Merry Christmas with or without Santa!

• . 5 years ago

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• a 5 years ago

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• a 5 years ago

0101010101010101010101011111010101010101010

• Heather 4 years ago

John, How can you think less of Jennifer? As if she has any control over what others say about her article. She simply stated her beliefs in a sweet way, and people attacked her, then boo hooed when they were in turn attacked by people with other views. I think this is all silly. You are doing a GREAT job Jennifer, I enjoy reading all your articles.